Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks Marines

I just watched the Okinawa episode on TV's "the Pacific." It was hard to watch. It was well done, I think, and visually brutal and disturbing. No Hollywood recreation can come close to the experiences of the boys and men who were really there. My father-in-law, Stephan S. Pagacz of Kansas City, Kansas landed on Okinawa with the 6th Marine Division. He was on the island for the whole campaign. He survived and spent many months in China after VJ day. Steve returned home and raised five kids. I married his oldest daughter. Steve was in Korea in 1951 when my wife was born. While he was proud of his Marine service, he never talked about his experiences except to tell a funny story. I know that prior to being in the 6th Division, he was in another division and saw action on Iwo Jima as well.

He was the kindest fellow I have ever known and I miss him a lot. I never told him thanks for his service. For forty years, I have read military books.
It has been my life-long hobby. I did not serve in any branch of the military, but through books, I have learned the price that folks like Steve paid. My Dad and all my uncles and their friends served in WWII.
They were all fine men and all were role models that shaped my life. But even though I have always known they were veterans, and I knew some of them were wounded in action. I never told them thanks.

I thank you now Steve Pagacz. And I thank all the veterans of the 6th Marine Division for all thier service in all of the campaigns they have served in.
In our world today, so many years after WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, it may seem no one remembers or cares.
But there are some that know in only a small way, what sacrifices you have made for your country and your fellow Americans.

God Bless you all. Forever.
God Bless all the Marines now serving in Iraq and Afganistan.