Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Garfield Wesner, Co.C., 1st Battalion, 29th Marines, 6th Division

My Uncle James at age 19, was killed 17 May 1945 on Okinawa. He was my favorite Uncle and I wrote to him often from 1943 till he was reported killed. He was an assistant Cook and was supposedly killed by a sniper bullet. Since this was so very close to the end of that bloody battle, is there anyone connected to this Co. C left that may have known him?
I read somewhere that the 29th Marines would have qualified for the NAVY CROSS and I wanted to hear from anyone that thinks this may have happened. If it did, since James (Jimmy) was KIA, is it possible he should have been awarded it anyway? There is no one left alive (him Mother, Father and 3 brothers) except me who adored him. He used to take me along with him (he was a teenager and I was only 9 the year he went to war. We lived in Johnstown, Cambria Co., Pa.
Thank you