Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John McCulloch, 2nd BN, 22nd Marines

I am assisting my father-in-law, John McCulloch, search for information about his service in the Pacific during WWII. Like many WWII vets he had never talked about his war experiences. Recently though he has begun to share what he still remembers. A visit this fall to the WWIi Memorial in DC and the Marine Museum at Quantico (both really well done) inspired him to open up.
John was in the 2nd Bn, 22nd, 6th Div, maybe in HQ Company. He fought on Guam and Okinawa. John recalls being in a foxhole on Sugar Loaf Hill with a Marine named Darryl Coffer (sp?) who later went to office training. He also recalls a man in his company by the last name Bartamechick (apologizes on the spelling)
Anyone remember John?
We have sent requests the military for his official records and medals, but would appreciate any advice for other sources to find records, platoon rosters, SAR's, etc. Also how else we might find any other surviving members of John's batallion/company.
Through sharing these memories of John's, our family has developed a much greater appreciation for what these young men must have experienced and what heroes they all are.
Thanks.
Craig Larson

Re: John McCulloch, 2nd BN, 22nd Marines

Hello, my great uncle was a corpsman in the 2nd bat, 22nd Marines and was killed on Sugar Loaf Hill May 14, '45. Not sure what company he was in but possibly he served with Mr. McCulloch. His name was Kenneth Leon Webb.