Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Scully saved a life on Okinawa

My father was a quiet and gentle man. He was in on the invasion of Okinawa with the 6th Marines. He never could talk about it though, so beyond generalities like him mentioning Shuri Castle or watching the kamikazes attack the fleet in the bay we know very little of what transpired.

He did suffer from the effects of what we now call post-traumatic stress disorder in the years following.

Back in August my sister's kid (in high school) was working at a Subway restaraunt on West Point. While there an elderly gentleman looks at my nephew for a long moment, and then asks him if his last name was Scully.

My nephew says no, but that was his grandfather's last name.

The old Gentleman then gives my dad's full name and asks if that was it.

As the conversation was related to me, the old gentleman said that my dad was 'one Hell of a fine Marine' who had 'saved his skin twice on Okinawa'.

My young nephew, caught by surprise, didn't think to get the gentleman's name, but does recall that the guy was a retired Officer.

Got two minds about this... if my dad wanted to let it go, so be it (he did bring back a sword and a flag, we had the flag for many years, the sword he gave away soon after he got back).

OTOH there's a story here. My father was the youngest Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps when he was promoted to that rank. I'm wondering if that retired Officer had something to do with that.

It would be exactly like my father to never mention anything of this.

I am hoping that someone here would know where to begin looking for that retired Marine.

Thanks,

Mike Scully