Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Granddaughter seeks any WWII Marine who can help with Grandfather's Research

Dear Sir
My name is “Kathi Salinas”, I am the “Only Granddaughter” of 1st Lt. Loyd I. Belt, USMC-WWII and I am writing to you in hopes that you may have known, remember or possibly served with my Grandfather and would be willing and/or able to lend some assistance in enabling me to fill in much needed information, details and daily accounts of the Battles he and I’m sure most of you participated in during your service in WWII.
I started writing my Grandfather’s Memoirs about 3 years ago, but due to his failing health/memory and his unexpected passing March 13, 2007, the only information/contents I have so far for his Memoirs/Book (entitled…”My Marine Hero”…The Memoirs of 1st Lt. Loyd I. Belt, USMC/WWII) asides from hit & miss jots and notes, are his USMC records, they give plenty of “Dates, Places and Names of Ships/Transports” but not much “Info” to coincide with them. I have also had the honor and privilege of corresponding with a few other WWII Marines who have so graciously shared a great deal of information and details of some of the battles they were in at the same time as my Grandfather.
I would be most grateful for ANY information/accounts you could or would be willing to share with me to help me finish his Memoirs and have them “Published” into a “Book” in his Honor/Memory. Also, if you should run across any photos that may exist of my Grandfather or other Marines who may have served "With" him or under his leadership, or in some of the Same-Places/Battles that he was in, I would very much like a copy. I realize, the chances of actually finding any Marines who “DO" Remember Him or Served with him” is almost IMPOSSIBLE, but still….my Quest Continues. What is MORE important to me is that I gather all the Actual- Facts and Accounts of each of the battles you all were in to fill in many of the blanks I have.
I have joined the “Sixth-Marines Association” 2 years ago as an "Associate Member" (also Member of the Sons & Daughters), and also I am a new “Associate Member” of the 22nd Marines Association (and have been told THE-FIRST-GRANDCHILD to join the Assoc.) in my Grandfather's honor.
Also, if there is anyone “YOU” know of who may wish to be of any assistance, PLEASE, by ALL MEANS feel free to forward any/all of the enclosed to them as well. Thank you for your time, and I am eternally grateful to all of you for your Service and Sacrifices during WWII and beyond, and I Thank You. God Bless.
Sincerely,
Kathi Y. Salinas
Proud Granddaughter of a USMC/WWII Hero
Semper-Fidelis

1st Lt Loyd I Belt
USMCR-WWII 1939-1946

Enlisted in the USMC Oct. 18, 1939. Went to Boot Camp at USMC Recruit Depot in San Diego, CA. Completed Boot Camp about mid Dec. 1939. From Dec. 1939 to 3 April 1943 he was “Enlisted” and spent most of the early part of his career in San Diego, CA. On 10 Apr 1943, upon completion of the 4th Officer’s Candidate Class at the 2ND Marine Brigade School, he accepted the commission/appointment to 2nd Lt. and executed oath of office. Upon acceptance, he was assigned to active duty at: EIGHTH DEFENSE BATTALION REINFORCED FLEET MARINE FORCE IN THE FIELD

APR 1943: 10, joined Company “M”, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines (Reinf).
11-30, Reconnaissance Officer, Mess Officer, with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

MAY 1943: 1-31, Reconnaissance Officer, Mess Officer, with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

JUNE 1943: 1-30, Reconnaissance Officer, Mess Officer, with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

JULY 1943: 1-23, Platoon Leader, Headquarters Platoon, Reconnaissance Officer, Mess Officer; 21-31, Platoon Leader .30 Cal Machine Gun Platoon. 1-31 with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

AUG 1943: Platoon Leader .30 Cal Machine Gun Platoon; 25-27 sick Field Hospital this station. 1-24 and 28-31 with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

SEP 1943: Platoon Leader .30 Cal Machine Gun Platoon; 1-30 with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island.

OCT 1943: Platoon Leader .30 Cal Machine Gun Platoon; with “M” Co. at Uvea Island, Wallis Island 1-19; 20 designation changed to: “M” Co., 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines (Reinf), embarked and sailed from Uvea Island, Wallis Islands via USAT HENRY BERGH: 21, arrived and 22 disembarked at Tutuila, American Samoa; 22-31, stationed at Tutuila, American Samoa.

1 NOV 1943 Designation changed to : FIFTH AMPHIBIOUS CORP, FMF, in the Field, “M” Co., 3rd BN, 22nd Marines (Reinf) .

NOV. 1943: 1-12, Platoon Leader, .30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon; 13, embarked and 14, sailed from Tutuila, American Samoa; via SS PUEBLA, 23, arrived and disembarked at Maui, T.H.

DEC. 1943: 1-10, Platoon Leader, .30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon; Maui, T.H. 11, embarked and 13 sailed via USS MONROVIA for Amphibious Training Exercises; 19 disembarked at Maui, T.H.; 19-31, Maui, T.H.

JAN. 1944: 1-10, Platoon Leader, .30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon stationed at Maui, T.H.; 11 embarked aboard USS LEONARD WOOD at Kahului Maui, T.H.; 12 sailed and arrived at Honolulu, T.H.; 14, sailed there from; 15-16 at sea,; 17, arrived at Pearl Harbor, T.H.; 23, sailed there from; 24-30 at sea; 31, arrive at Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, member of Task Force assaulting that Atoll.

FEB. 1944: 1-14, Platoon Leader, .30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon; at anchor, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands; 15, sailed there from; 16, at sea; 17, arrived Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands; 17-24, participated in the assault and recapture of the Atoll; 27 disembarked at Kwajalein Atoll; 28-29, garrison troops, that Atoll.

MAR 1944: 1-16, at Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands; Platoon Leader, .30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon; 17 embarked and 19 sailed from Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands via USS LST No. 23; 21-22 participated in reconnaissance on Ailinglapalap Island, Ailinglapalap Atoll, Marshall Islands; 22, designation changed to “M” Co., 3rd BN, 22nd Marines (Reinf), First Provisional Marine Brigade, Fifth Amphibious Corp, FMF, In the Field; 24, participated in reconnaissance on Kaginen and Namur Islands, Namur Atoll, Marshall Islands; 27, arrived and disembarked at Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands.

APR. 1944: 1, Apointed 1st Lt., 1-4, , Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands; 5, embarked and 7, sailed from Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, via USS LEEDSTOWN; 7-12 at sea; 13, arrived and disembarked; 13-30 Garrison Troops at Rear Echelon, Forward Echelon, Guadalcanal, British Solomon Islands.

MAY 1944: 1, Joined “I” Co., 3rd BN, 22nd Marines (Reinf), Platoon Commander, Machine Gun Platoon; 1-31 with company at Guadalcanal, British Solomon Islands.

JUN. 1944: 1, Designation changed to FLEET MARINE FORCES, “I” CO., 3rd BN, 22nd Marines (Reinf), 1st Provisional Marine Brigade; Platoon Commander, Machine Gun Platoon; with company at Guadalcanal, British Solomon Islands.

JUL. 1944: Platoon Commander, Machine Gun Platoon; 1-2, at sea; 3, arrived at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands; 4-16, anchored at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands; 17, sailed there from; 18-20 at sea; 21, arrived and participated in the assault landing on Guam Island, Marianas Islands; 22-25 participated in action against the organized enemy on Guam Island, Marianas Islands; 25, wounded in action (GSW/Left-Leg) no additional information available; evacuated aboard the US Navy # 10 (The Sammaritan), destination unknown.

***AUG 18, 1944: Awarded the PURPLE HEART for wounds received on July 25, 1944 as a result of enemy action in the Asiatic Pacific Area.

AUG. 1944: 1-6 , station unknown; 7-31, sick, USNH, Navy #10; (The Sammaritan) 19, Detached to Headquarters Company, Casualty BATTALION, TC, Admin Command, FMF.