Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
May 19, 1945

Today is the aniversary of my father getting "hit" on Okinawa, 64 years ago today. His name was Frank Egan and he was a machine gun crewman in H/3/29. It was a grenade in a foxhole and he called it a "million dollar wound".

Just wanted to post here that I was thinking of you today, dad. We're all very proud of you and the others from the Sixth Marine Division who gave so much at such a young age.

Re: May 19, 1945

Hello Daniel,

My Dad was in H/3/29 also. He was in the 3rd Platoon and was wounded on 5/14 and flown back to Hawaii. He's guarding Heaven's scenes now but I know a couple of guys from the machine gun platoon; Dan Cantwell and Harry McKnight and I can ask them if they knew your Dad if you want me to. I fly the American flag every day and the USMC flag on November 10th and 11th, and also May 14th and Memorial Day.

It's good that we remember our Dads and their buddies who never came home.

Semper Fi,

Bob McGowan