Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Hero Goes To Heaven / John Fox Wheatley, Jr.

John Fox Wheatley, Jr. was an "everyday hero", a "good samaritan", and a devoted Christian throughout his 82 years of life in this world, and he went to be with his Lord on December 29, 2008. He always made it his business to "do the right thing" and to help those in need whenever possible, and to be a shining example of integrity, courage, kindness, and personal strength for all who knew him.

John worked very hard throughout his life to support and provide for his loving wife of 62 years, who "waited for him" during World War II and married him afterward to raise five children and enjoy a very large extended family in later years.

Our family is very proud that John fought for our freedom in 1944-45 as a United States Marine in the 6th Division/G Company/3rd Battalion/29th as a machine gunner at Okinawa during fierce battles at Sugar Loaf Hill and other sites.....later serving at Tsing Tao, China as the war came to an end.

Our family salutes the many brave men and women who have served their country past and present in the fight for freedom. We are respectful and appreciative of the heavy sacrifices made by so many soldiers and their families during military service.

Thanks to all who provide and participate in this website, for through your efforts I was able to research and learn more in recent years about the important role of my father and his fellow 6th Division Marines toward winning World War II. I also located books, videotapes, and Marine-oriented clothing for my father that he enjoyed and took pride in for the final years of his life.

Sincerely,
John Fox Wheatley III...a very proud son !!!

Re: A Hero Goes To Heaven / John Fox Wheatley, Jr.

Sorry for the loss of your dad a Hero and one of The Greatest Generation. Keith