Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6th division history 1st edition signed by general shepherd and many others

I bought a 1948 infantry journal press 1st edition history of the sixth marine division signed by the preparer and editor first lieutenant Bevan G. Cass. This book belonged to lt. colonel george mchenry(captain during ww2). the book contains many signed hand written messages to george mchenry from high ranked men in the sixth marine division. commanding general major general lemuel cornick shepherd jr hand wrote under his picture on page 8 "with all good wishes to george mchenry, my war time comrade in the sixth marine division" signed lemuel c shepherd. brigadier general william t. clement wrote a message to mchenry across his picture on page 225 and signed it william t. clement. colonel alan shapley signed picture on page 230. many other high ranked men wrote and signed in the book. elliot b. robertson division engineer signed mchenrys book and wrote " to george mchenry whose * * group encoded 006030 probably saved the day. My question to anyone is what role did mchenry play in the war because there is no mention of him in the in the book , yet knowing all of the high ranked men so well it seems like he must of played some important role to the success of the sixth division. also what does the "encoded 006030 probably saved the day" message mean. and finally what are your opinions on the books value to a collector. thank you for your time. *= could not understand word written