Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sixth Marine Div. 22nd 3rd I Co. Tsingtao, China

Hello Ron,

Again, my name is Geo Reinbold in Golden, CO. My wife's father was Othel Emery who was in the the Marine Div. Joint Assault Signal Corp. (JASCO) along with your father.

My father-in-law passed away in Oct. of 1989 of a heart attack in California. Unfortunately, he never spoke to my wife about his time in the war. In 2007 I received an overview from the VA about his service and in regard to China, this is what I have.

27 Sep 45 Embarked onto the USS Elkhart (APA-80)
in Guam, Marinas Islands

02 Oct 45 Set sail for Tsingtao, China China (in
the Shantung Province)

16 Oct 45 Arrived and disembarked off of the USS
Elkhart (APA-80) in Tsingtao, China
China (in the Shantung Province) from
Guam, Marinas Islands

31 Dec 45 6th ASCO (Assault Signal Corps) HQ
Battalion, 6th Marine Division

02 Jan 46 6th ASCO (Assault Signal Corps) HQ

10 Jan 46 Embarked onto the USS Bolivar (APA-34)
in Tsingtao, China (in the Shantung
Province)

11 Jan 46 Set sail for San Diego, CA

I hope this helps to pinpoint your Dad's time in China. Also, In the event you have anything that may mention Othel Emery in the Signal Corp, please let me know. My wife would LOVE to hear about or see anything about her Dad you may have - since he's been gone now for 19 years.

Take care,

G. Reinbold
Golden, CO
gareinbold@msn.com

Re: Sixth Marine Div. 22nd 3rd I Co. Tsingtao, China

Hi, Mr. Haliday,

My name is Kathleen Bacom. I am the daughter of John Bacom who also served in Tsingtao. I cannot tell you how tickled I am to be "talking" to someone who served in Tsingtao at the same time. Dad was a Second Lieutenant and was a First Lieutenant when he was discharged from the Marines. Sorry about the lack of knowledge of military lingo, but he commanded a "group" of tanks. Does any of this ring any bells?

You mentioned that you were a driver. Dad told us that he drove out to the countryside with someone else, and they found a (what the Chinese call) a "foreign" cemetery that contained American military graves from before the Second World War. Did you ever hear anything about that?

Finally, my family has a lot of pictures from China. Do you have any suggestions as to who may be interested in digital copies? I think for posterity, someone should have them.

Thank you so much for any information you have, and I wish you and your family the very best.

Kathleen Bacom

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I arrived Tsingtao Dec. 1945.Joined guard company for year before transfered to motor pool.I was a driver for Col.Blanchard,
General Clements,Col.Griffith and Lt.Col.Mcgill. Wrecked the car I was driving Christmas eve 1946 and was transfered back to the motor pool.After two years in China I was transfered to Paris Island Motor pool til discharge 1948. I've only met one other marine from those days.If you are of a like mind send me your e-mail address.

Re: Re: Sixth Marine Div. 22nd 3rd I Co. Tsingtao, China

Hello Ms. Bacom,

I read your e-mail in response to someone else in regard to your father's tour in China in 1945. My father-in-law, Othel Emery, served there at the same time as your father did and the following is what we received from the VA:

27 Sep 45 Embarked onto the USS Elkhart (APA-80)
in Guam, Marinas Islands

02 Oct 45 Set sail for Tsingtao, China China (in
the Shantung Province)

16 Oct 45 Arrived and disembarked off of the USS
Elkhart (APA-80) in Tsingtao, China
China (in the Shantung Province) from
Guam, Marinas Islands

31 Dec 45 6th ASCO (Assault Signal Corps) HQ

02 Jan 46 6th ASCO (Assault Signal Corps) HQ

10 Jan 46 Embarked onto the USS Bolivar (APA-34)
in Tsingtao, China (in the Shantung
Province)

11 Jan 46 Set sail for San Diego, CA

My wife's father was in the the Marine Div. Joint Assault Signal Corp (JASCo). He passed away in Oct. of 1989 of a heart attack in California. My mother-in-law says that he unfortunately never spoke to anyone about his time in the war. So, we have always been in the dark about what he went through.

In the event you have anything that may mention Othel Emery in the Signal Corp, please let me know. My wife would LOVE to hear about or see anything about her Dad you may have - since he's been gone now for 19 years.

Take care,

G. Reinbold
Golden, CO
gareinbold@msn.com