Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Okinawa Jima

Hi, I hope someone can give me some info..I currently have the study of the theaters of operation "Okinawa Jima".. It was prepaired by the sixth marine division...I have copy 19 of 182 that were printed..It contains the study including maps and so forth. It was classified TOP SECRET...I was wondering if anyone knows the value of something like this and the best place to sell it if I ever deside to....Thank you..Randy.....smallcappro2@aol.com

Re: Okinawa Jima

Randy,

That's interesting. I've got the same for the 2nd MarDiv. How thick would you say your document is? This is really to ask how detailed it is and whether it is organized by topics such as logistics, communications, supporting arms, etc.

Value of something like this is pure guesswork. I would expect $200 on Ebay. Where value is concerned, the brutal facts of BIG NAMES takes over...Normandy, D-Day, and Iwo Jima are the biggest and most widely irresistable. Okinawa just never got the PR or public's imagination. Who knows why. The flag raising photo on Iwo is likely a big reason. By Okinawa, people were just tired of it all and wanted it all to be over.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the scale or ferocity of the battle in reality, nor the impact of it. You are talking collectability based on name recognition. It's the facts. My copy of the OpPlan for the Okinawa invasion cost me 1/33d of what the same thing for Iwo Jima demanded.

So how does this play out today? If it says Iwo Jima on it, every bubba and his brother wants it because it must be cool, regardless whether they know anything about it, or have any real use for it. If it says Okinawa, there is a cadre of us Ops historians who seek these things out and, if you catch several of us at one time after the same item, the price will go up. So you tap more into the "useful" market than the "neat-o" market.

So, put all of that aside. You have a terrific archive of unrevisionist history there.

Re: Re: Okinawa Jima

Cincpoa, I'm sorry I just picked up your note...I will get back to you shortly with the questions you asked.....Sorry for the delay..Randy