Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Japanese Flag Signed by Marines

Hello,I have in my possession a flag that was signed by 39 Marines (probably of the 6th Div). I do not know the history behind the flag but that is my quest... The site is www.colorslost.org and I have listed all the names found on the flag along with the signer's home town in 1945. I am also posting closeups of the signatures as time permits. Any help that can be provided will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Japanese Flag Signed by Marines

I just wanted to update the group that I was able to make contact with a Mrs Utterback. She is the wife of Fred Utterback (he passed away 9 years ago). She confirmed that Mr Utterback was in the 6th and was in the Okinawa landing that took place on Easter Sunday 1945 and that the flag was captured on Okinawa. She was aware of the flag because her husband spoke of it. She is the first person to respond to me. Thanks!