Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jack Gray

I'm searching for any information on my grandfather, Jasper "Jack" Gray. Orignally from Memphis, Tennessee, he served in the 22nd Marines in Okinawa and for some "clean up" (as he called it) of Guam. I have not been able to determine the Battalion or Company. I recall that he told me that he was the platoon BAR man after the first man was wounded. I also recall that he told me he boxed some in one of the light weight classes. Unfortunately, he died in the early 1980s while I was serving in the U.S. Navy (in all places Okinawa and Guam)and so I did not get an opportunity to pick his brain for more information.

I would greatly appreciate any help piecing together his story.

Re: Jack Gray

Since my original posting I have learned a couple more things that may help to jog memories. Jack was good friends with two marines named Jerry Hogue (from South Dakota) and Johnny Noecker (possibly from Ohio). All three were in Okinawa, Guam and Tsingtao, China together. Hogue was WIA during one of the campaigns although I'm not sure if it was Okinawa or Guam. Also, apparently there was a young Chiniese boy, nicknamed Sunshine, that hung around alot during the Tsingtao days. I'm not sure when Hogue and Noecker were discharged. Jack was discharged in December 1945.

I have come across another piece of information that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I recently found a copy of History of the Sixth Marine Division. In Chapter 14: The Capture of Ara Saki, there is a photograph at the top of page 173 entitled "Trophies of battle - hard won". The photo is of a group of Marines standing at the top of a ridge holding a couple of Japanese flags and swords. Jack Gray is in that photograph. If anyone has any additional information on this photograph or who any of the men are in it, or even what unit or units are pictured there, it would be extremely helpful with my continued investigation. Thanks.

I believe my father is also in that picture, I recently saw, X day the invasion of Japan on The Miltary Histry channel and George Niland jr. from mass
previewed the picture and said it was taken after they finally toke sugarloaf, that was all that was left from a full copany. I can send you that clip, and pictures of that video if you send me your e mail. What co. was Jack Gray in?????