Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Dad's name was Bill Bussiere

Hi,

Thanks to those who put this forum together.

My father, William Francis Bussiere, left high school early in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in 1943 to join the US Marines. His nicknames in the Corps were "Buzz" and "Frenchie." The places in the Pacific theater I remember him talking about were Guam, Guadalcanal and Okinawa. By war's end he worked mostly with demolitions. After the war was over he spent 10 months in China mostly working as an MP.

While he was serving, his high school English teacher kept sending him books and got him interested enough in learning that upon his return he finished high school and then used his GI bill support to get degrees in college and graduate school. In his post-war career he worked as a social worker and community organizer for about 20 years, and then taught community organizing at university for another 20 years.

My Dad died a couple of years ago. His whole life he was friendly and supportive of those around him.

Thanks for your time,

- Merritt