Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 3rd Platoon H Co. 3/29

There are no Marines buried on Okinawa from WWII. All were returned to the USA at the request of the next of kin, or interred in the Punch Bowl Cemetery, National Cemetery, Oahu, Hawaii. You can send a card of note to the director of the cemetery asking if that person is indeed interred there. In the event you know the person's home town perhaps the library may have information as to burial within that city or town. Thankyou for placing the additional marker on our fellow Marine's grave.

WWII Memorial Registry Search

Thanks for you help Bill and John. I got on the WWII Memorial Web Site and did some searching. Found the hometowns of three of the Marines I was looking for plus the location of one of their graves in Hawaii. I'm going to contact the local VFW's to see If they others were sent home.

Bob McGowan

Re: 3rd Platoon H Co. 3/29 1st. Lt. Henry Johnson

My name is James Henry Johnson. I have always been called Henry,having been named for my uncle 1st. Lt. Henry Lester Johnson.I was doing some research on where and how he died on Okinawa when I saw this message.
Uncle Henry is now buried in Alta Vista Cemetery in his hometown of Gainesville, Ga. He has rested there for as long as I can remember.Uncle Henry's headstone bears the date May 15 as the date of his death,it also has the Marine Corps emblem carved into it.
If you have any info concerning Uncle Henry and his time on Okinawa it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at either: hjohnson@piedmont.edu or docshows@hotmail.com
Hope this info is helpful.

Sincerely,
Henry Johnson

Re: 3rd Platoon H Co. 3/29 1st. Lt. Henry Johnson

Henry,

Your Uncle was my Dad's Platoon Commander on Okinawa. My Dad knew him very well and spoke highly of him. I can tell you all about how he was killed and most of their platoon were also killed or wounded on May 14th, 1945. Semper Fi.

Bob McGowan II