Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pioneer Company, 22nd Marines

My uncle (Mother's side of the family) was PFC Norbert (Norm) Pitz. He served with Pioneer Company of the 22nd Marines throughout the Pacific War and on to Occupational duty in China after the war's end. Does anyone know any of the 22nd Pioneers? Are there any still living?

Also, were the various Pioneer companies assembled into the Pioneer Batallion of the 6th Marine Division for the battle of Okinawa? I am curious. Unfortunately, my uncle Norm died in 2005. He has a picture in the book "History of the 6th Marine Division...I am not sure of the page number, but it was taken on Eniwetok as his unit was moving through the jungle.

I would appreciate any replies. Perhaps I will get lucky again. I was fortunate to coorespond with a gentlemen who knew my uncle (another uncle on my Father's side of the family) in the 5th Armored Division in Europe during WWII! Pretty Amazing to find someone after all these years.