Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
22nd regiment

My Dad was a Pharmacist's mate in the Navy first- on the Blum Pontaine to transport wounded from New Zealand back to the US. In '43 he was transferred to the fleet Marine force and was in the 42nd replacement Battalion sent to Guadalcanal from Camp Pendleton, CA. There he joined the 22nd Regiment in time fro the Guam campaign and Okinawa. I have recently been going through my Dad's remembrances from the war and photos he took on the islands. He died 11 years ago and I have only what stories he told me and what I can piece together from the pictures. I do have photos of several of his buddies and was wondering if anyone knows these names: my Dad= Barney Kempton ; his buddies = Matt Kozik, Mel Kautzer, "Joe", "Walker" (all from Wisconsin like he was), "Oknesorge", "Middleman", Virgil A. Jaliffe, Aaron "Tex" Drury (from Mt Pleasant, Texas), Carrol Eliason. Also, he told me about landing on Guam in the amphibious tractors and how a Doctor in his regiment was shot in the heart by a Japanese sniper just as they landed-- he said his name was Dr. Daskow ?sp. I thought I would share since I do have some photos and I know families and veterans alike need to remember the great sacrifice. Peace to you all and God Bless.