Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st Lt Loyd I Belt USMC WWII (I & M Co., 3rd Bn, 1st Provisional Marine Bg., 22nd Marines (Reinforce

I am looking for anyone who may have served with my Grandfather 1st Lt Loyd I Belt, USMC in WWII. He was born and raised in Sequim, WA. He enlisted in the USMC Reserves on Oct.18,1939, He was appointed 2nd Lt. on Feb. 2, 1943 and received his Commission to "active" duty on Mar. 3, 1943. On April 10, 1943 he was assigned to "M" Co. 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines (Reinforced) at Uvea Island, Wallis Islands. He was there until Oct. 20, 1943 when he was shipped to Tutuila, American Samoa with the 5th Amphibious Corps, "M" Co., 3rd Bn., 22nd Marines (Reinforced). Nov.& Dec. 1943 he was in Maui, T.H. and Jan. 1944 he was in Honolulu, T.H. Feb.-Mar 1944 he was at Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, then Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands for the assault and capture of the Atoll. He served as Platoon Leader of the 30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon. April,May & June,1944 he was at Rear Echelon and Forward Echelon, Guadacanal Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands with "I" Co., 3rd Battalion, 1st provisional Marine Bg. 22nd Marines (Reinforced) as Platoon Commander for the 30 Caliber Machine Gun Platoon. July, 1944 he participated in the assault landing and recapture of Guam. On July 25, 1944 he was seriously wounded from a GSW resulting in the loss of his leg. He was awarded the Purple Heart in Sept. 1944. I am his "only" Granddaughter, and I am writing his Memoirs. I would be very grateful to be in contact with any of his former Marine Buddies.