Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for Lt. Fileff, Capt. Marsden, PFC Tangen, Pete Vrettos and Hinkley

Dear Sir,
My Grandfather 1st. LT. Loyd Irwin Belt Born Oct. 3, 1918 in Sequim, WA. He enlisted on Oct. 18, 1939 and went to USMC also served with the 6th Marine Division, 22nd Marine Regiment, "I" Co. 3rd Battalion, 1st Provisional Marine Brigade in the invasion on Guam. He served under COL. Merlin F. Schneider. He was there July 21, 1944. Was hit by a bullet in his left leg on July 25, 1944 while leading a tank thru a mine field when they came under heavy artillary fire from the Japanese. He was awarded the Purple Heart on Sept. 18, 1944, and was discharged after 2 amputations of his left leg on Jan. 1, 1946.
I wonder if you two served together.?????? I have 2 posts here with variuos info.
Sincerely
Kathi
Proud-Granddaughter of a USMC-Hero
SEMPER-FI

Re: Looking for Lt. Fileff, Capt. Marsden, PFC Tangen, Pete Vrettos and Hinkley

I remember Capt.Marsden, he was my CO, last time I saw him he was on top of Sugar Loaf Hill waving at us to hurry up to the top. Ico3rdBn22ndMarines.

S/F, Joe