Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My fathers' passing.

My father Robert O. Heibel Sr. was a member of Fox Co., 29th Mar. 6th Marine Division During the Battle of Okinawa and subsequent transfer to China. My older brother, named after my father, was sent a Newsletter last year from the 6th Mar. Assn. listing our father as an active member. I regret to inform you, belatedly, that he passed away from complications after quadruple bypass surgery on 14 September, 1999, at Truman Restorative Center in Columbia, Mo. This was a few days short of his 78th birthday. He never talked much about his time in the Corps but on a few Saturday mornings when we were kids he would relate a few stories. He joined in 1942, and was on Guam, Guadacanal and a few other places ending up on Okinawa. Then to China for occupation after the war. I still have the postcards that were made from pictures taken during the battles for Okinawa. In one titled "Watchful Waiting" he is pictured in silhouette from inside a cave. My next oldest brother, Daniel J., and I were both Marines. My brother Daniel was lost to hostile fire while acting as an advisor to a village in Dong Ha, Quang Tri Privince, Viet Nam on Aug. 12th, 1967. This post is to let the Assn. know of my fathers passing. Semper Fi.
John Heibel