Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6th Tank Battalion tactical markings

My father, Joe Molloy, and his younger brother Bill both served in Company A, 6th Tank Battalion, 6th Marines on Okinawa and in the predecessor company the 4th Marines Tank Company of the First Provisional Brigade on Guam.

I am an avid scale modeler and wish to produce replicas of their tanks. However, I only have a few black and white photos to go on. They are in their 80's and there is some confusion on the tactical markings used to identify the company and platoons for the 6th Tank Battalion.

Each of the three tank companies painted the markings a different color - white, yellow and red. Each platoon in the company had a different geometric emblem with the tank number inside it. Their platoon was the second platoon and used a circle. Uncle Bill was in number 2 and dad in number 3.

The confusion is the color used by Company A. Dad thinks it was red and Uncle Bill says white. I know they used white when they were on Guam but it is on Okinawa that there is the confusion.

Is there any source where I could locate the information on tactical markings such as battle reports or records? I've seen clips of a white circle 3 tank on Okinawa in several videos and on History Channel documentaries and want to know if that is his tank.