Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lt. j.g. John H. Stover, Jr, MC, USN

My father, Capt. John H. Stover, Jr., Medical Corps, US Navy, died March 22, 2005.

He was awarded a Bronze Star with combat V for his service on Okinawa and particularly with the 22nd Marines in the Naha-Oroku Peninsula action, for which he volunteered to serve in the front lines. At the time he was at Lieutenant j.g. with the 3rd Medical Battalion. He acted in the role of a personal physician for Gen Roy Geiger, whom he was treating for an ear infection. He attended many of the General's staff meetings at his invitation..

I would be interested in any information you might have as to the travels of the III Amphibious Corps. We have letters that he wrote home from the period of August 1944 to June 1946, but do not always know where he was writing from, as that information was not permitted to be disclosed. He first went to Guam, then to Guadalcanal. I think that he may have been on another island as they staged for the invasion of Okinawa. After the Japanses surrender, they eventually went to Tientsin, China.

In addition to his WWII service, he was also the chief medical officer for I Corps Vietnam during a tour in 1968-1969.

Alan Stover
(301) 897-8931