Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for "Smokey", our mascot in Tsingtao

If you know someone who knows someone that was in the 22nd. Marines in China that remembers "Smokey" he was our mascot in Tsingtao, a 12 year old Chinese youngster who almost beat me in a game of poker.

If there is anyone out there familiar with this mascot, please email me, there was a first sergeant looking to have him brought to California, can't recall his name, I sure will appreciate any information...thanks ....Semper Fi ....Stan

Re: Looking for "Smokey", our mascot in Tsingtao

Hi, Mr. Waslasky,

I am brand new to this forum and can't tell you how excited I am to find it. To your question, my family has a lot of pictures from China which included at least one of my Dad and some other servicemen with a bunch of kids. He told us that they were orphans. Does that sound like it might be of your "Smokey"?

To repeat from my other post, my name is Kathleen Bacom. My Dad was John Bacom who was a Second Lieutenant and was a First Lieutenant when he was discharged. He commanded a "group" (sorry, don't know what else to call it) of tanks.

Take good care.

Kathleen Bacom

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If you know someone who knows someone that was in the 22nd. Marines in China that remembers "Smokey" he was our mascot in Tsingtao, a 12 year old Chinese youngster who almost beat me in a game of poker.

If there is anyone out there familiar with this mascot, please email me, there was a first sergeant looking to have him brought to California, can't recall his name, I sure will appreciate any information...thanks ....Semper Fi ....Stan