Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Father, PFC Lacy R. Kessler

My father, PFC Lacy R. Kessler, from Ansted West Virginia served in the Sixth Marines (A Co., 1st Bat., 22nd). Being a Marine was one of the proudest achievements of his life. When he enlisted he was 32 or 33 years old. Would that age be unusual, even for WWII?

I feel fortunate to have several of his ribbons, and his Purple Heart as well as the Sixth Marine History book. My sister treasures his dress blues and the letters he wrote home to our mom. After the war he suffered with several illnesses that left him totally disabled. Unfortunately he passed away in September of 1968 in a veteran’s hospital in Clearwater Fl. He never spoke much of his time in the South Pacific, and I know that few of his company survived. I have written for his service records, and I know it will take months to hear back. It would be wonderful to hear from someone from the Sixth who knew him during those trying times. I never properly thanked him for his sacrifices, so I am taking this opportunity to thank all of you brave Marines! Without your efforts this world would be a much darker place. You are truly the Greatest Generation!

Sincerely,

David J. Kessler