Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Please Help!

Thanks Jack! You've been a lot of help. Kim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Kimberly: I am forwarding your message to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Secretary, Bill Pierce, at >GYRENE629@aol.com. Bill is well informed on the History of the Division and the Marine Corps in general. Perhaps he can help.

I would suggest that you contact the office of the Postmaster General of the United States. I am sure that his office will direct your contact to the appropriate subordinate office that can provide you with the data you seek, and possibly direct you to where you might get a few of that stamp issue.

Photos taken in a combat area are normally taken by Combat photographers and are the property of the U. S. Government, and most of them end up in the archives of the Service involved.

Bill Pierce is good about helping out when it is something he can get data on. I am sure he will respond.

Jack Dornan, 6thMarDiv Web Site Coordinator

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Please help! I need some information. My Grandfather,Clifton "CJ" Terral,(22d marines, 6th division, Co C) is on a WWII stamp, part of the 1945 "Victory at Last" series. It's the stamp with the yellow background (Okinawa, the last big battle). I know this because in either '94 or '95 he got a call from the Veterans Administration telling him to be looking for it. They said he would not be able to recognize himself on such a small stamp and they wanted to let him know that it was him. (I'm wondering if he had to sign something for them to use his photograph) He always said that photographers followed his Company taking pictures but none of us thought it would end up on a stamp. Okay...here's what I need help with....I don't have any documentation that that is him. I know it is but I would like to pass the stamp down to my children and I'd like there to be some documentation with it. The photograph they used has to be somewhere and it has to be labeled with his name, otherwise how would they have known to contact him? I haven't even been able to find the photographer's name. I am getting really tired and frustrated and have finally resorted to cutting and pasting this letter on a few sites that might be knowledgable in this area. I would really like to have the original photograph with documentation, or maybe that's wishful thinking. Do you know how I would go about this? Thanks so much for your time, Kimberly