Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rebranding as Minimalists

So I was thinking the other day that one of the main tenants of nudism is that wear only what's necessary (i.e. safety, comfort, etc.). Wouldn't that mean that nudists wear the absolute minimum with the lowest being zero (not counting negative numbers)?

Maybe a new name would then be "minimalists". Do you think this would be more accurate and palatable to bring in more to the fold?

Re: Rebranding as Minimalists

JustCurious
So I was thinking the other day that one of the main tenants of nudism is that wear only what's necessary (i.e. safety, comfort, etc.). Wouldn't that mean that nudists wear the absolute minimum with the lowest being zero (not counting negative numbers)?

Maybe a new name would then be "minimalists". Do you think this would be more accurate and palatable to bring in more to the fold?

Hi JustCurious! This is an interesting question. I'll offer a few thoughts...

You could just as easily describe us as "maximalists": seeking to maximize our skin's contact with sun, earth, water, nature and our loved ones.

All kidding aside, I am trying to avoid labels that describe me in exclusive terms as someone who is all about nakedness; but neither do I want to use a term of self-description that is so obtuse that I need a long elaborate explanation.

When nudism first started, it was a health movement that happened to include nudity as part of the health regimen. Translated from German, the movement was called, the "Free Body Culture", but even that term fails to describe the holistic goal of the movement.

Likewise, the term "naturism" implies that we are trying to return to a way of life that is closer to nature. And though it takes a moment or two to finish the thought, one of the best ways to live in harmony with nature is to make sure that 100% of your skin is in full contact with the natural world around you, just as it is for every other creature in God's great outdoors.

Would it be better to say, "There's no one else at the lake; let's go skinny dipping!"? Or say, "I just built a privacy fence so I can enjoy private sunbathing in my back yard"?

When I was a kid and I was a little anxious about being momentarily undressed, Mom would say, "Don't worry about it. Everyone knows what little boys look like". We weren't nudist by the way, just more relaxed about nudity than some families are. But sometimes, even for nudists, it is better not to put a label on ourselves. If others give what we do a label, we don't have to deny it, but this may develop into an opportunity to dispel a myth or two.

Now I am proud of the vast majority of nudist communities in this area. It is a true community and collectively everyone sets a great example for the kids and folks of every age. Am I a nudist? Sure! Not able to be very active in the social scene at present, but nudists are my people and I support the cause 100%.

Nice reply, Ramblinman. Nudism as we think of it had its origins in several movements, mostly in Germany in the late 1800s (surprisingly) that were based on the idea that the human race was basically going downhill. Coincidentally, some people at the time thought there were no new worlds to conquer, too, thought that is an entirely different subject. The West was won, there were no new frontiers, what else is there to do.

The movements, which could probably include scouting (including for girls), were essentially urban movements that were health and well-being oriented. The main reason for those movements was that living in the big cities was unhealthy. They were dirty and crowded. The answer in the various movements was to retreat to the countryside for rest and recreation in a healthy environment. Overall, the movements could be called naturism, as it implied a return to nature, which sounds very much like the back to nature movement of the late 1960s in the U.S. At any rate, nudity was not central to all of the groups nor was sunbathing. But exercise in the open air certainly was. As I said, most of the movements were essentially urban in nature, probably because rural folk are as close to nature as they cared to be.

The Nazis in Germany eventually banned nudity (some restrictions were later relaxed) and other movements co-opted to become the Hitlerjugend, which had its own ideals and objectives, but was similar in some ways.

Along the way, cities became better places to live, too. There were also some opportunities for urban nudity, too, since not everyone could take time to vacation at a nudist club in the summer and, besides, vacations at a nudist club was largely a summertime thing.

So, originally, I'd say that nudism and most of the other movements under the naturist umbrella were health and recreation oriented. So it's good that the ASA changed its name to the American Association for Nude Recreation.

I can see how Minimalist would be too vague. I guess nudism seems too extreme like I imagine people saying, "I have to be nude like no clothes?" Well then go into explanation that its about being comfortable even to the point of being nude, It's more healthy, etc. It seems like that's something that needs explaining too. I don't know maybe there's still something that will fit without being obtuse.

JustCurious
I can see how Minimalist would be too vague. I guess nudism seems too extreme like I imagine people saying, "I have to be nude like no clothes?" Well then go into explanation that its about being comfortable even to the point of being nude, It's more healthy, etc. It seems like that's something that needs explaining too. I don't know maybe there's still something that will fit without being obtuse.

I think you're right. When I've talked to textiles about nudism, the term seems to conjure the idea of having to be completely naked in public. And they decide that it's just not for them...everyone seeing them with nothing on.

Some like the term "clothing-optional." It conveys the idea that are not forced to be naked; that they can at least be partially covered, or nude depending on circumstances. I can see how it can be a more palatable term.

But ultimately, it's almost never clothing-optional. A man wearing a swimsuit on a nude beach would be the one labeled a pervert, would he not? There is pressure in the States for a nude beach to be just that: nude, not clothing-optional. Anyway, I don't like the term "textile." It's a loaded term.

My wife and I usually go to St Martin to Orient Beach but it was badly damaged in the hurricane. We like it because it is "clothing optional". She likes clothing, I've been optional since 1969. Luckily I have a house that is isolated and I can be optional all summer.

Peace.

Kzoobob
My wife and I usually go to St Martin to Orient Beach but it was badly damaged in the hurricane. We like it because it is "clothing optional". She likes clothing, I've been optional since 1969. Luckily I have a house that is isolated and I can be optional all summer.

Peace.

On a side-note...my fiancée and I go to St Martin every year for a week or 10-days.
Every morning (we stay at the other end of Orient Beach) I take a jog with just shorts on, run down the beach, toss off the shorts when I get to Club O. and hang out naked; swimming, walking around, relaxing.
Sometimes my fiancée will come down and join me. She's not a nudist; but she has gone naked at Club O to swim. It's the only location she's been comfortable enough to be naked in front of other people.

I've been in contact with St Martin and they don't expect to be back in operation until late 2018. Which mean we won't be going back until sometime in 2019. Bummer...