Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Military nudity

Given the latest focus on pretending that nudity in any form is criminal, particularly in the military, is there something that little ol' we can do to downplay the dangers?
There's good nudity, and there's bad nudity. How can we reassure people who gasp at what's happening that it really is not as dangerous as it is depicted? Nobody got hurt and probably won't be except that when law rather than sense is used to handle this, then, somebody's soldier will be hurt.
And then, too, our cause will be set back another decade.

Re: Military nudity

The problem with the nudity as has been reported by the news concerning the military is the fact that those pictures were taken and shown without permission. Yes, it does cast a dark shadow on us in general and I'm not sure what we as a group can do about it. Just as many men will tell you their significant other hesitates visiting a nude beach for the same reason; pictures of them may end up on the internet. And you can't say nobody's hurt as pictures like that can ruin careers.

What is the issue you refer to - is it the (widely reported) appearance of photos of Marines etc. on Facebook, or something more related to naturism/nudism?

Back in the 1950's when I was in the Air Force I had been interested in Nudism. In those days in some parts of USA raids on nudists camps were common in the so-called bible belt. I was stationed mostly in those states. I avoided going to nudists resorts until I left the service in 1958, After I was discharged and as a student at the University Of Illinois I visited my first nudist resort, Zoro Nature Park. I met the owner Alois Knapp that day. I had an enjoyable day and that starter my life in social nudism.

i never served in the military -- 4-F -- but I do, every time somebody sounds off about military behavior, defend our American right to exercise our freedom without being unfairly penalized for not conforming to some artificial standards!
If we can't do any more than that, at least we can do that much.
When this are in the news, we don't need to bring the subject up, but we should be aware enough to respond when this is discussed.

This is all another good example of a moral panic. It makes good news, though.

I wouldn't be too sure about artificial standards. You undoubtedly have your own standards and there is nothing absolute about them. In that sense they are arbitrary. Some people who love being nude have no issues with having sex in public on the beach. If you think that's improper, you could easily be accused of having an artificial standard. By the same token, you could accuse them of not being real nudists. The standard is not artificial but it could be conceived as somewhat arbitrary, being nothing more than what most people think most of the time in one place. Or, alternatively, what enough people think for a given moment. We found out in the last election that it doesn't even have to be "most people." I just hope that wasn't the last election.

I'd like to mention in the 1950 when I wass in the Air Force in the south, Bible belt when the law raided nudist camps many ot th KKK were in law enforcement I don' know if that was part of why they raided nudist camps or not. the KKK always claimed to be christain although their behavior didn't seem to be christian to me.

I guess they're free to make up their own standards, too. They, the KKK, saw themselves as upholding community standards, of course. But a problem with something like that when it involves law enforcement is they sometimes enforce the law the way they think it should have been written. Nudist clubs have always been problematic in some places. There was a big to-do over a youth camp at a club in Virginia (Whitetail park in Ivor) a few years ago. I don't know the outcome but it's another instance of a moral panic.

Mind you, none of this is to imply that community standards are fair but they sometimes have the force of law.