Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The simplicity of nakedness

As usual, I was writing about one topic, and it got me to thinking about another topic.
It came to me as I started thinking about the fact that my wife now likes "all nude" venues.

I'm going to rewind a little bit, specifically to my first marriage. When I introduced my ex-wife to resort nudism, it was with the stipulation that she would not be pressured to disrobe. Nonetheless, she would be "open" to some measure of disrobing depending on her comfort level. It was a stipulation I couldn't deny her.
Her first attempts were "touch-and-go." She started off on her first day in a sundress; and as she got comfortable, she decided to unbutton her sundress down to her navel. The "effect" was that her boobs were hanging out of the dress while the rest of her body was effectively covered up. When she realized how that "looked", she opted to switch to an oversized T-shirt. The "effect" there was that she was effectively covered up except for the bottom half of her bottom. At that point she figured that the bottom half of her bottom felt less "exposed" than her breasts hanging out of her dress; and that became her preference.
On subsequent trips she discovered the sarong. And she would wear it in "creative ways." Sometimes she'd be fully wrapped, other times she would tie it in a single knot behind her neck, leaving it open in the front. Other times she would tie it on the side, so if she walked around, a breast and her flank would "peek out."
She wasn't being "cheeky", she was just trying out different "modes" of partial nudity. Her goal was to fit in; but without being seen completely naked.

My point? That was a really complicated way of experiencing social nudism. I've said this before: I think clothing-optional is a great way to be introduced and acclimate to social nudity. But...
For my wife, there were a lot of variables involved in what she wore, when and how. "Variables" such as: the amount of people around her and their gender, whether we were in the pool area or outside, her mood, etc...
And it's not just women. I've seen men switching back and forth from wearing a towel or sarong tied around their hips, or walking around holding a towel in front of their crotch.

I get that this is mostly a "newbie thing." My current wife also went through a similar "process." Her coverage of choice was a beach cover-up. One day, at a resort clubhouse, we were invited by another couple to play ping-pong with them. As she played, her cover-up top, which was already loose, twisted up and her boobs "popped out" of the sides. My wife and I discussed it later; and she agreed that it would have been more simple if she'd just unfastened her top and played topless. At that point she realized that nudity is more efficient than constantly "juggling" different levels of coverage.

Eventually, with enough experience, most people will eventually realize that nakedness - even if it is a "little scary" at first - is a lot less complicated than constantly trying to figure out what to cover up and when and how.

BB has frequently talked about "ripping off the band-aid" and undressing with freinds to make getting naked more fun. That's one way. Another way is to just get naked "on arrival." When you just leave all your clothes behind you, the nudist experience just becomes more simple. To me, interacting with a man who is holding a towel in front of his crotch, or a woman in a sarong with one breast hanging out, is not as "simple" as a nude person; because there is often some measure of caution as to how to interact with them. And it can be distracting. Complete nudity is a more direct and balanced way because, simply put, "no one is hiding anything from the other person." And that's a core idea when it comes to social nudism IMHO.

Anyway, it's just one of my random thoughts.

Re: The simplicity of nakedness

Nudony,

There's no better way to draw attention to oneself than awkwardly undressing one garment at a time and constantly looking to see who is watching. Of course that is hardly what the bashful newbie wants, but what one wants and what one gets are two different things.

I vastly prefer the second path you suggested: undress upon arrival.
Peel off, the faster the better, lock your clothes in the car and start walking and start living.

The tables were turned on me once: I was on a tour at a resort wearing business casual clothes as I took the golf cart ride with the head of security and at every turn, I met the nicest, most unselfconscious naked people; they greeted me and even engaged in lengthy conversations with me.

I should have insisted that the security guy stop the golf cart right away and let me get out of those ridiculous clothes. I was totally embarrassed NOT to be nude!

It's so much better to be one more naked person in a huge crowd of naked people.

And yet, many newbies just can't grasp that right away.

To your topic heading: I LOVE the simplicity of nudity. So comfortable in the warmer months, so easy to wash off after a sporting event or workout.
Why do humans have to complicate what God gave us: our bodies!

Hi, Group:
We have threaded our way recently through Uncovering and Discovering how maybe it's easier for a converted nudist to see the concept than it might be for a youngster raised in nudistry. Now I want to introduce one more factor into the simplicity of it all:
Next month, I'll be 80. I did not even entertain the possibility of being visibly naked until I was 68, but once I had thought it through, it became clear. Recently, I have begun taking my early morning tea -- for you coffee drinkers, that could be coffee -- out on the backyard patio, rain or shine, wind or drizzle, sun or snow.
Point being, our skin is way more adaptable than we thought. Whenever my wife shivers in the autumn cool down, I remind her that this 45 degrees will be welcome in March as we begin coming back out of winter. If only we would face the cold weather aware that our skin will tolerate cold with practice, we would enjoy the cold (and the nudity) even more.
Age, too, can enter the acceptance of nudity, but as long as another person doesn't dismiss your nakedness as evidence of senility, that you appear sensible, you should enjoy your private moments socially.
Oh, okay: Maybe I don't always spend as much time as I want to out there. Sometimes I scurry back in to warm up, or maybe I slip into a robe, but I do give my skin half a chance to enjoy it all as I drink my tea!

Ramblinman
I vastly prefer the second path you suggested: undress upon arrival.
Peel off, the faster the better, lock your clothes in the car and start walking and start living.

I was chatting with a younger couple at the resort this summer; it was their second visit. The young lady related to me their first visit, which had just occurred a couple of weeks prior.
They were a "reluctant wife and zealous husband" when they first arrived. As they exited the parking lot and noticed that everyone was nude between the lot and the check-in point by the clubhouse, she immediately indicated to her husband that she should proceed naked as well. So they went back to the car and undressed.

That hadn't been her original intention. She had wanted to acclimate first. But she quickly realized that if she wanted to "discreetly" blend in, she was much more likely to accomplish this by simply being a "naked body in the middle of many other naked bodies." I applauded her for her astuteness; and she was totally right: I had crossed paths with her a few times during the day, and she "blended in" so that she was just "part of the landscape" and went relatively unnoticed.

That might seem counterintuitive to "newbies", but simply being naked along with everyone else is actually less likely to garner "unwanted attention" than partial nudity. Some nudists might say "it doesn't matter", but seeing someone at a resort covered up with a boob hanging out, or a man in a sarong with with a "tip" hanging is just going to be distracting and actually attract more attention.
My wife tried to explain this to one of her freinds who is contemplating visiting our nudist B&B with her BF. She wants to wear a bathrobe and leave it slightly open until she feels comfortable taking it off. She didn't understand my wife's recommendation to get naked right away; even if it meant staying in their room until she was ready to come out and mingle.

On a side note: congratulations to Gary for reaching his 80th! It's a milestone worth celebrating!!

Where is your nudist B&B?

Nudony

On a side note: congratulations to Gary for reaching his 80th! It's a milestone worth celebrating!!

I congratulate Gary, too. I'll get there at the end of May 2022. I can't say I am eagerly anticipating the event, but we'll have a small, select, masked, vaccinated party, probably clothed :disappointed: