Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Giving up nudism

How many of you have either thought about it or know someone who has given up the nude life?
I am thinking of Kindi Stone for one example, had a video on YouTube, now gone, where she exclaimed, I'm a nudist, and I love it!!
Now it appears she is out of the lifestyle, living in Arkansas with her family
She used to post a lot of pictures of herself, but not any more.

The reason I bring this up is that I am pondering also giving it up as a result of disability.
It is just getting too difficult for me to maneuver

Just wondering what the posters on here think

Re: Giving up nudism

I think that everyone has their own motivations and challenges. I had put going nude on the backburner because of issues in my life, and I'm just getting back to it now. It honestly comes behind a lot of other priorities. If I find it difficult or inconvenient in the future, then I'll drop it again.

The late great Diane Webber quit nudism; after being one of the most iconic nudist spokesperson of her time (the 50's and 60's). She did radio and TV appearances defending nudism; wrote articles and posed for nudist publications, and even published a book.
The reasons given vary: some say that it was the result of her divorce from her husband Joe; others say that the "sexual revolution" of the 70's effect on nudism "turned her off" (which may seem ironic since she started out as a "pin-up girl"). If I had to guess it was probably the combination of several factors. The last portion of her life was dedicated to teaching dance and raising horses. Dressed.

I gave up nudism for a number of years after my first wife and I separated. Active social nudism had been a "family thing" with my wife and daughter for years; and continuing nudism alone just felt "sad" to me. I also quickly lost contact with our common nudist friends (some of whom just kinda "dumped" me). I figured I'd never be a social nudist again.
Four years later I relocated; and incidentally ended up fairly close to a nude beach. Without that proximity I might have never returned to nudism. But when they closed the beach a couple of years later, I quit nudism again. Two years later my now-wife would agree to go to a nudist resort, which would mark my return to social nudism after a nine year hiatus. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Life happens. Younger people might quit when they marry/pair up with someone who is not as much into social nudity; or have children and the spouse is against being naked around the kids. Older people might quit after relocating to an area where resorts are too distant; or after a divorce. Older people still might have to quit due to illness or when their partner deems they are "too old to run around naked."

My take on it is to just "embrace the moment." Right now things are good; but if they end I'll just move on again, as DipperDave mentioned.

Note to Bubba: I just searched Kandi Stone nudist videos and they all came up. Once things are put out on the internet they tend to stay there. One can only assume changes in Kindi's life caused her to move on from her nudist involvement. It's happened to many of us.

Well this is interesting and prompted a few thoughts.
I use a broad definition of nudist/nudism, one that doesn't depend on participation in "social" nudity. That narrower definition has been used here and I understand. It's not an either/or thing to me. If someone enjoys being nude somewhere, at some time, alone or with another/others, then he/she would qualify. After that it's a matter of preference and degrees/levels of participation.
I can't remember not enjoying being nude/naked, from early childhood bath time and running through a sprinkler. Mom said that I could sleep nude during a heat wave when I was 13. Teenage boys don't ALWAYS have to be told something twice!
I was cautioned/corrected/chided about many behaviors as a teen, but interestingly never about being nude around the house. Not once. So casual nudity around the house, at least by two boys, was considered normal and natural.
As a young adult I was an avid skinny dipper, nude canoeist, sunbather, et cetera, often with a female companion who may or may not have been a "girlfriend". And "socially" at Cape Canaveral and Ginnie Springs in the 80's.
My first wife thought that recreational nudity was decadent. Nudity was permissible for sex and nothing else. Big mistake? Oh yeah...
Three decades and three children later she threw me out. Did I "quit" "nudism"? Of course not. But it was a LONG "vacation"!
My new wife is complicated: Childhood abuse led to many insecurities including body shame. (No one went to prison; Hell is another matter...)
But she enjoys being nude when she's feeling "right", and completely embraces my enjoyment of being nude, especially with her. We have, quite accidentally, become a "classic" "CFNM" couple! If I'm in a funk of some kind and come to bed wearing ANYTHING, off it comes at her insistence.
Have to run, out of time for this "session". Will add some more soon.

Well that was a longer pause than I intended.
I was almost done with whatever the point was that I was trying to make. I "gave up" outdoor recreational nudity for a long time, but not by choice. Depending on where we live in retirement, perhaps trips to a "sanctioned" nude beach will be possible. We'll for sure have a hot tub in a privacy fence in the backyard. Who knows, maybe a pool!
Cool weather is rapidly approaching. I wore long johns to work for the first time! Clothing is a necessity most of the time, and for me often enjoyable in many ways. But I'll never lose the enjoyment of relaxing wearing nothing, as God originally intended.

I like to draw a distinction between the naturist/nudist way of looking at life and the ability to act on that worldview by visiting a campground, beach or resort set aside for nude recreation or at least a place so remote that it would be dumb to wear clothes in hot weather.

I am sure some people go back to a prudish way of thinking, but I am inclined to think that their numbers are small.
As we get older, our outward beauty may no longer reflect conventional ideals, but I have met many people who don't let that rob them of the joy of nude living. In nudist culture, we insist on everyone's right to their day in the sun. It is a wonderful feeling to be appreciated for the inner person. We all want to look our best, but I encourage anyone who wants to wait until they are physically fit to begin enjoying social nudity to please put that thought out of your mind. You may discover that physical fitness is easier to achieve with the encouragement of your nudist friends and without the shame of having an "imperfect body". As others have said, most of us are a work in progress, just like you.

We've had income loss and epidemic to contend with, but let's hope for better days ahead.

That's how I see it!

Ebb and Flow.
Wake and sleep. Eat and then let digestion work.
Nudity is primarily an attitude. No matter what the circumstances, or the attitudes of friends around you, if a person still feels comfortable about being nude or seeing nudity, s/he's still a nudist.
I'll be celebrating 80 years in January. Hey, kids: I have changed somewhat over the decades, but I have not had an aversion to nudity parallel to the conversion into it that I had on Saturday the 9th of July, Twenty-ten, when I thought my way carefully through why we wear clothing -- and then quit wearing any unnecessary stuff.
Ramblinman hit it squarely: all of our societies have suffered setbacks and have changed drastically. If we had not lived through those changes, we would not recognize the places.
The basic tenet of nudity stays. Wear clothing when necessary and don't when it ain't necessary.

In essence, nudism is debunking the myth that clothing has any moral value beyond the utilitarian.

I would propose that those who accept that clothing is simply a set of practical tools to use as appropriate already subscribe to the core philosophy of nudism, whether they habitually go without clothing or not.

Bubba Gump: sorry to hear that your situation is making it less and less practical to put nudism into practice - however it doesn't mean you are no longer a nudist. Nude when possible, clothed when practical.

I would categorise myself as a largely non-practising nudist, since the necessity of day to day life presents few opportunities for nude recreation or relaxation. This doesn't mean that I don't subscribe to the philosophy of it, just that there is little opportunity to put the philosophy into practice.

It would be harder to argue that one was a non-practising vegetarian or non-practising cyclist, for instance, since those activities require a certain level of practical follow-through. However, it is entirely within concept to think of a non-practising lawyer or non-practising Jew, for example.

I would submit for discussion the idea that a nudist can still be a nudist without actually habitually practising the act of nudism (although of course it is far less enjoyable).