Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From nudity to nudism

I was recently thinking back to an acquaintance, a member of a sports club affiliated to mine. We have met 3-4 times. We also happen to be FB friends, and over the years a few random posts have caught my attention.

She is a wiccan; which is known for its sky-clad practices. I also found out she used to be part of a Butoh group, which is a dance that is performed nude or nearly nude (she actually posted an older pic of herself performing with others - and even though it is blurry she does seem to be partially nude). This combination obviously got my "nudist attention." I wondered about just bringing up nudism and see how she responds. But I've also been around long enough to know that "nude activities" does not equal "nudist proclivities." There is nothing in her current life that would indicate she has or ever had any interest in social nudism.

That got me thinking. At what point does nudity become nudism? Opinions on this seem to be all over the place. Some people believe it is nudism only when it is social. Others believe that it is primarily philosophical; or a value system.

I don't know what the "requisite" is for being a nudist is. For me, enjoyment of nudity extends beyond a "specific" setting or activity. If something can be done nude; I'd prefer to do it that way. And I'm going to enjoy it more if I can; so I do think of myself as a nudist. My wife is not "compelled" in the same way I am; which is why she prefers to refer to herself as someone who "enjoys nudist activities", as she enjoys nudity at nudist venues but prefers to limit it to that.

Thoughts?

Re: From nudity to nudism

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. I have no interest in being nude around the house generally, just when doing specific activities like the hot tub or the beach. I think I'd enjoy hiking in the nude, and maybe being at a resort for the day. That's why I think of myself more as a "skinnydipper" or maybe a naturist.

I think of nudist as harking back to the FKK movement, or for folks who want to live nude pretty much 24/7. Especially if they choose to live or spend lots of time in a place that would allow them to do that.

I guess that just being nude could lead someone to being a nudist, but not generally. That said, someone like your friend who does nude activies, especially in groups, is probably at least open to hearing about nudism or other nude activities, even if they don't want to participate. They should be past that unthinking negative reaction to the idea of nudity in general, if nothing else.

Hi, Group:
I'm a barefooter. Have been since a hip replacement when my surgeon advised me to go barefooted to benefit my hips and knees. After I learned how useless shoes were (I wear 'em to make other people comfortable) I decided that clothing was unnecessary, too, so I only wear clothing if other people are uncomfortable.
One evening at a group book discussion, "Dressed to Kill" by Sydney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer, a book about the link between tight clothing and breast cancers, I asked if anyone could tell a nudist just by looking.
The obvious response won't work. A nudist at heart just happens to live without clothing if it doesn't bother other people.
As with anything else, there are degrees of nudity. Some people want to be fashionable in what they wear but some just want serviceable outfits. In permissible settings, nudity can be more comfortable than needing a certain amount of clothing.
Nudity is more psychological than it is physical.

I would subcribe to the 'philosophical' school of thought. I am clothed most of my day to day life, but that is simply because for one reason or another, that is the practical choice. However, when the practical choice is nothing at all, then that is what I do :)
Usually that coincides with being at home by myself with nothing pressing to do and a good dose of sunshine waiting in the back yard :)

Hi, Group:
We have a restaurant in town which requires men to wear a jacket and tie. Ladies may be admitted wearing less -- point being that: are we discussing the relativity of nudity or the permissibility of "taboo?"
Yeah -- around the house, if neither Linda nor I want to wear anything, we don't bother about appearance. When we dust our ceiling fan blades, it's easier to work without anything on; or vacuuming, or cleaning the kitchen.
I like my first cup of morning tea (I don't do coffee) out on the patio. It was thirteen degrees this morning here in Missouri, so I didn't take long out there, but it is a ritual now. If I go out to the fish pond, it won't scare the fish, or the squirrels, or birds if I'm not covered.
Clothing might.