Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim C Cunningham - remembering a naturist who made a difference

Although he left us in April, I only now learned of the passing of James C. Cunningham, a naturist publisher. Jim as he was called, was eager to tell the world about the harmony between naturist practice and Christian living. As he saw it, naturism was not only compatible, but actually helpful in the Christian life.

Jim was Roman Catholic and yet the vast majority of his writing would appeal equally to Christians who are Orthodox or Protestant in their perspective.

Many of you recall reading about naturist author Tom Pine, who passed away not too long ago. Tom (a Protestant) and Jim were friends and regular correspondents.

Jim struggled with blindness and other health issues much of his adult life, but he maintained a very positive attitude.

I had some brief and cordial correspondence with Jim Cunningham and purchased his book, "Nudity and Christianity" It is not light reading, but for those willing to apply themselves, it makes a solid biblical case for why family and social nudity enhances and strengthens the Christian life and provides support from the Bible. Jim also wrote the photo books: "Our Wonderful Bodies!" and "Vermont Unveiled." Both offer a visual testimony to ordinary people of all ages and walks of life who chose to live as much of their lives as possible in their natural nude state.

Jim and his wife Linda hosted an annual retreat at their farm in Vermont and they sometimes led field trips for retreat participants to places where nude swimming was customary. Vermont is more tolerant of discrete outdoor nudity than many other states.

He ran the web site: https://jimccunningham.com (last updated about 6 years ago).

Here's a link to his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/newportvermontdailyexpress/name/james-jim-c-cunningham-obituary?n=james-jim-c-cunningham&pid=198323082

Re: Jim C Cunningham - remembering a naturist who made a difference

Ramblinman, Thank you!
At first I wanted to regret that I missed his passing, but I think that nudists need to regret even more that our community is so fragmented. In our own private worlds, we must tread carefully so we won't offend non-nudists with our different viewpoint, and further, we must be careful not to share our friendships with them. Being identified with wrong crowds may be damaging.
Thank you again, for sharing.