General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme Debate

Of course I understand the sports world!! In the World Cup of 2002, Japan and Korea were given wildcards as they hosted the tournament, but Korea justified that honour by reaching the semi finals. When Portugal hosted Euro 2004, again they justified their "free" entry by reaching the finals. When Goran Ivensivic got his wildcard to Wimbledon, HE REACHED THE FINAL!!!! What I am saying is that to give a "free entry" to someone that knows that they are going to get knocked out in the 1st round is ridiculous!!! If you are going to hand out "free passes" don't cheapen the event by handing them to someone that won't book their hotel room for more than one night!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme Debate

I dont think that Korea is a football giant ,neither Portugal ! What about the Olympics ? Did the wild cards won a medal ?I could see in Athens that in every Greek panticipation it was sold out and when Isibayeva in pole vault or Thorpe was competing there were some tickets left the previous days.
The wild card doesnt have to prove anything.Kyme is very succesful in his country and if it wasnt him there will be no tournament in Bermuda,for the simple reason that he made the Bermudian companies and sponshors to have a look at squash.
You cannot understand that its important for the promoter to advertise his company to the local gallery.He is not intrested for abroad advertisment.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme Debate

is this nick writing this? surely no one else can see the sense in having a 15 min match in the first round of the biggest tournament.

Re: Nick Kyme Debate

If I was a Nick Kyme Fan, I surely would not want to see him get destroyed in 15m in front of his friends and family. The promoter would look bad (in my opinion) by setting him up for a big failure. Let him go out on his own and earn his way back to this event by playing in the smaller tournaments like everyone else. I agree that wildcards should be for qualifying only, if a player can get through that then he has earned a place in the main draw.

Re: Nick Kyme Debate

I agree with PSA player. What part of "hundreds will support the local" and "nobody watches the 1'st seed in 1'st round" don't you people understand? I wonder if the people on this board have ever even seen professional squash matches???!

Re: Re: Nick Kyme Debate

Some of yall are just ssssooooo negative!!! How is the guy supposed to improve his squash if everyone is making him feel like the worst player on earth?!? He doesn't have to lose, anything is possible. He could feed off the local support and play the best squash of his life to seriously challenge Thierry and provide good entertainment as well. Then they would get more sponsors and then Bermuda would continue to be a fix on the world tour. Have you even realised that Bermuda is the only Caribbean country to host a PSA event??? Due to Bermuda's success, they have even approached other countries in the Caribbean to host PSA events, which would further expand and enhance the PSA World Tour. The powerful squash countries like Australia and Egypt can't even host a tournament as big as what a tiny nation like Bermuda is having. Give the guy a chance, all sports have cinderella stories once in a while.

Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme Debate

Kyme could play out of his tree, Lincou would hand him his behind on a plate anyway. There is no way Kyme will win unless Lincou fails to turn up.

Anyway, the argument here isn't about Kyme in particular, it's about the wildcard. Kyme just happens to be in the limelight since he has received the wildcard in the biggest event on the calendar.

I think the bottom line is, if it helps to get sponsors and make a tournament of this magnitude possible, then we should be applauding the PSA and Bermuda for hosting the event and Kyme, as a Bermudian, should get the wildcard being their number 1 player. Anyone complaining is simply envious. If it doesn't make the jack of difference whether sponsors will put up the money for the tournament then the wildcard rule should be yanked.

Nick Kyme mas Debate

I don't know what you guys are talking about Kim use to play number 3 for Trinity college and they were the world champions, I think he will do great.

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite