General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme

You people really don't like Bermudians now do you?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme

I think that this guy has a ligitimate argument here. There's nothing wrong with giving a local player a wild card for a major tournament played in his country. In the past it's done some players a lot of good actually (Ahmed Barada, Alahram '96). But the thing is that you also should be deserving of your wildcard. Barada took his wildcard and reached the final of the tournament that year only to be beaten by the great Jansher Khan and during the course of the following years he became as highly ranked as number 2 in the world. It doesn't make any sense to give a player huge ranking points for one tournament a year and he just goofs off for the rest of the year, if anything he should be working his ass off all year trying to back up his reputation, but again who else is there in Bermuda worthy enough to represent them, surely they're not going to give the wild card of their only event to an english, egyptian, french or aussie. These guys complaining are obviously english..........with all the crying and whining, sour grapes as usual. Don't hate guys.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme

As usual everyone jumps down everybodys throat. Apply some commonsense to the argument. I am sure in fact I know Nick works as hard as most of the working pro's out there. This argument has nothing to do with him it is the system that needs looking at. That is not to allow easy routes for players from wherever elevating themselves unfairly above their station by being given what amounts to a sweetener for promoters from the PSA. I am sure there must be other ways the PSA can help elevate an event even more for the promoters than giving out Wildcards into main draws.
Similar things happen with smaller PSA events whereby the qualifying draw will have 8 of the 16 spaces allocated to Locals. These locals do not have to be a member of the PSA but are denying a fully paid up PSA member a space in a tournament, which may be the only one he has been able to get into because of his lower ranking. I see why they do these things but it does not make it right!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Kyme

It's very rare that a local takes up a qualifying spot of a psa pro that wanted in the qualifying. And you don't get ranking points for losing in qualifying.

You're assuming Nick Kyme works as hard as the top players. I don't know how fair of an assumption that is. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't work as hard.

I watched Nick play in a tournament here last year. He's a pretty fit guy with horrible hands. Lost in the qualifying to a local player here 3-1.

Re: Nick Kyme

I suggest you check your facts Mr Lee. Atlanta Open in May has 1 Wildcard and 4 locals in the Qualifying,Losone Open 1 Wildcard main draw and 4 local spots. In fact every tournament coming up has Wildcards and locals. The New Zealand circuit has 8 local spots out of 16 qualifiers. When you are paying over £300 per year to be a member of the PSA then you become rather frustrated not to be able to even get a chance to play in the qualifying so you struggle to get your ranking higher. Also you are wrong about points not awarded for Qualification rounds. Main Draw 16 with 16 draw for Qualifiers 1st rd losers 1/5th of points awarded to Main draw 1st rd losers. 2nd rd losers 3/5ths of points awarded to Main draw 1st rd losers.

this 'bloke' should never have been included in such a prestigious draw.
Anyone self respecting pro of that ranking is trying to cut their teeth in Europe and not mincing about the american 'circuit'.

for all of you complaining, have you ever been to a tournament to see whats going on? Full gallery for locals an wild card (local) and just a few people watching the first match of No 1 seed ! Wild card to a local is good for the promoter who pays lots of money sometimes ,so it´s good for squash.

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite