General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Willstrop

I don't believe in the phrase a player "should" win a match. The match isn't won untill a player wins 3 full games, not 2 games and a match ball. A player could be down 2 games to 0 and 10/0 down in the 3rd but still you must give him the benifit of the doubt, he still has ONE LAST CHANCE to win. God didn't give James anything more than he gave Anthony, they both have 2 arms, 2 legs, a mind to think with and a will to win, so saying that James should have won is an illusion. Even if he were the number one ranked player in the world, he's still only human. Oftenly we make out our champions more than what they really are. I believe that a player should be credited for his effort in coming behind to win rather than putting him down by saying that the other player "should" have won. I realize that Malcolm is a proud father of a world-class player and he has every right to be that way but he must know that he's also a journalist and it's his responsibility to give us insight on what's happening in the squash world, so he shouldn't be taking the chance to use his column every now and then to rave about his son. I wonder if it wasn't his son complaining about this salary cap they want to put on the National League matches would Malcolm still write about it, the answer is clearly NO. He's a thoughtful dad trying to help his son out of his financial dillema, in this case by sending a broadcasted message to the national league NOT to reduce his son's pay. Malcolm is pouring with squash knowledge but in the end I feel he's just a typical sports dad looking for his child's interests. I'm not one to speak of how people should run things but I just don't feel there's room for these issues in squash, Malcolm's writing space could be better spent creating a column on ideas to promote squash for the Olympics for instance, something more worthwhile than knowing a player's personal lifestyle. I would like to take the chance to thank Fram and Steve for keeping my article posted this time, I remember before having a couple of articles removed and my IP address was blocked from accessing the website even and let me just say that there was no profanity or insult involved, it was just a case of someone not liking my own personal view, but obviously things have changed for the better.

I saw that match yesterday on PSA live. There was definately tension between Rickeets and James during the match. It was there in the first set when Anthony stepped out to have a chat with the ref. Then in the third at 2-2 they exchanged words and at 7-7 in the 4th set they again said something to each other and Anthony walked off the court. Since there was no commentary I do not know what was being said.
About the 5th set, yes James had match point when he went up 10-9 but in the ensuing rally, it wasn't as if James could have won that point as Anthony played a ball deep into the right hand corner that James could not dig out and then James tinned two put aways while going for a drop shot in the left hand corner. He did not move his feet at that point. Could be fatigue and as Anthony said after the match, he felt he was a bit more fit than James.
So based on that I think the better man won.

Re: Willstrop

I'd like to suggest that this chap isn't speaking on behalf of the readers as he claims - to me, squash is an interest, a hobby, and I find malcolm's insight on the life of a professional very interesting - I am never likely to be in that position myself, and I like to see how others live. Fair play to malcolm if he writes only about his son and products of his system - why not? There seems to be an awful lot of miserable people whingeing about pathetically minor issues on this board - I just wish everyone would cheer up a bit - aren't we all on the same side as fans of squash?

I think it is great to hear Malcolm's opinion. Come on, he is bound to be proud of James, and why not. Don't forgetmiit is only one man's view and we are lucky to hear that view from someone so involved in the sport we love. Long may they continue.

Re: Willstrop

It sounds like you are expecting unbiased reporting, but i dont thing such a thing has ever existed in the history of mankind!

I don't understand why everyone moans about Malcolm Willstrop!!! He is an excellent coach, has produced 2 excellent Senior players, one of which happens to be his son. His juniors play brilliantly, and the club which he is based at win quite a lot!! People that moan about him or belittle his acheivements in my mind are jealous!!! I have had the privilidge of watching his demonstrations with his players and they always give me inspiration to try new things in my training. I'm glad he talks about his son. He is obviously a proud father and is passionate about squash. Surely thats a good thing??!!

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite