General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Watch the ball?

I think one of the oldest tips in squash, tennis and many other sports is to simply 'watch the ball'. It sounds easy, but what does it mean, and is it the correct advice? I know when I play my best squash, I do not focus on the ball -- I focus on a point 4 or 5 feet in front of me and watch my opponent and the ball 'out of focus', almost in my peripheral vision, except for the brief period when the ball enters my point of focus and I strike it. Does this make sense to anybody? It is very strange, but by following the ball this way I know exactly where it will be and how it will bounce off walls without really having to look at it -- and yet it is always there for a clean strike when I am in position to play it. Does anybody have any comments/suggestions/insight?

Re: Watch the ball?

I believe you should focus on the ball and keep your opponent in your peripheral vision as much as you can. Since you will running after - and reacting - to the ball, you should be concentrating on that. You can 'see' your opponent anyway, and the more experienced you get will be able to pick up little hints such as flat-footedness, leaning in one direction, racquet down, not standing on the 'T', etc, to help you decide where to hit your next shot. Also, watching your opponent as he is hitting and not the ball can trick you into going the wrong way all too often... Anyway, that's how I see it...

Re: Re: Watch the ball?

By keeping my focus short I am still able to see where the ball is going and what my opponent is doing -- in fact I can see both better than I could if I was focusing on either. But I agree with everything you are saying, that it is important to pick up cues from your opponent to help your decisions.

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite