General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

If Stevie wins it'll be a fix I'm afraid. Although there's nothing I'd like more. Tim will just squeeze it 3-2, 9-0 in the fifth!!

Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

Shouldn't half of this anger be directed at the organiser - not just Tim?

Re: Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

You have a point although i found him to be one of the all time great charmers and very pleasant bloke over the weekend, he's tough job in itself.
i think the point is that people should know better,the competition is based on 'traditional values' with no referees (which is never a problem) and a sense of fair play. Don't tell me any player with a serious interest in the game doesn't know the fundamentals behind the Jesters comp? A little common sense should've been used prior to accepting the invitation - would you seriously consider joining an internal club comp that was for 'non team players' only if asked? i wouldn't, it'd ruin it for them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

You are preaching to the choir. The organiser shouldn't have asked him, and Tim shouldn't have accepted.

If they wanted to display top class squash, then they should have arranged for an exhibition.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

A lot of unhappy puppies out there in relation to this matter.Associations expect the ordinary player to support Squash in the olympics which was originally an amateur competition, and then treat them like this. GET A GRIP and make up your minds.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

Having had been told that I had featured heavily on the Forum, I thought I would have a look and respond to some of those points raised, and put down some of my own:
- I was a pro.
- I am now an amateur.
- I have not been a member of PSA for over 12 months
- Probably less than 15% of my working week involves being on a squash court.
- If anyone had an issue with me being in the event then it probably should have been 6 time winner Stevie! But he didn't. We probably play similar league matches to each other each way, and similar to many of the other players in the draw.
- I was asked if I would lilke to play in view of the above, and was pleased to accept.
- I would have been happy to explain any of this to those at the event who had an issue but they decided to write in to Forum rather than simply come and ask!

I love playing squash, thats why I still play, its as simple as that.

Thats all from me, thanks for your interest!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jesters 'Amateur' Status

First I want to make it clear I don’t know Mr Garner, I am not a member of Lambs, I did not play in the Jesters, I was not one of the octogenarians watching from the back . But.. not knowing sometime has never stopped me from having an opinion about it before so why change now?

I remember a West Indian test cricketer called Collis King. He was an all rounder during the height of the West Indian’s greatest period in the late 1970s. He also played in a local league in North Wales and total destroyed the opposition in all games, becoming the highest run maker and highest wicket taker. He was invited to play, he did not ask. He did not break any of the rules. He was an active professional but had he just stopped it would have made little difference. Of course some players, particularly the better ones, liked the opportunity to play against such a man. It is a season none of them will ever forget, but… it was most definitely not in the spirit of the thing and made a mockery of the matches he was involved in and the outcome of the season. The rules where changed at the following AGM to prevent this from happening again.

Perhaps Jesters could do something similar. No one who has been a professional in the last 5 yeas, perhaps 10 or perhaps ever, should be eligible to enter ? Steve Richardson seems to be someone who has/had the potential to have been a professional but he chose a different career path, and that’s the point. This tournament looks as if its core role is for players who have taken that decision, to pursue a career outside squash and to remain amateurs.

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite