General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cut or flat...?

Hi there

I've been watching the PSA top players

They seem, a least to a certain degree, all alike when i comes to

Driving the ball (they can all hit good length)

Moving (they a move very well)

Tactic (Their shoot selection is very good)

BUT...

When it comes to Dropshots they differ

Some players like Lee Beachill and Jon Power cuts the ball a lot, but others like Dave Palmer and THE FROG (Sorry Flamboise) hit the ball more flatly.

Does anyone out there has some good reasons to choose either the one or another?

And by the way... Keep the good work up Flamboise its a pleasure the read your reports.

Re: Cut or flat...?

Just a minor point.... it's FRamboise and not FLamboise, she will NOT be happy wrt to 'THE FROG' and the blatant miss-spelling of her name!

Wrt drop shots the slice seems to be more of a kill/winning drop whereas pushing a drop in seems to be a way of moving the opponent rather than trying to finish off the rally.

Re: Re: Cut or flat...?

No probs, Mike...
Just glad you enjoy our work...

Re: Cut or flat...?

I would say that they generally cut when they have time and are being most aggresive, usually from not right in the front corners. They push more when the ball is far into the front corners. This is for several reasons.

1. it's easier to reach with a push than a cut when the ball is really short.
2. when the ball is really low and short it is very difficult to hit down on the ball to cut it and get the ball to rise above tin level. Therefore they must push it up to avoid tinning.

3.the push, when stretched, will help cling the ball to the side wall with a tiny amount of top spin.

All views expressed on this Forum are those of the contributor and are not endorsed in any way by Squash Site. Squash Site reserves the right to preserve the integrity of the site by removing any anonymous or inappropriate messages. If a visitor feels any message is inappropriate please contact SquashSite