Return to Website

Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers

Welcome to the Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers new Message Board. Please feel free 
to post messages on topics related to the Port of Liverpool and the Maritime Community. 
The Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers use this web site and forum as their means of 
sending and receiving news of events and platform for research. The LRMS meet every 
Thursday afternoon in the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool . It is a great venue for mess 
room talk and swinging the lamp.  Gerry Myles ( Secretary & Treasurer)  

Pay us a visit... you may meet old ship mates.

Unfortunately, due to heavy SPAM, we have been obliged to LOCK this forum.
If you wish to post a message, send email to internetaction@yahoo.com and we will post it for you.

Forum: Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
RE: Captain Jack Leslie - ex 'Furness Withy shipping line

RE: Captain Jack Leslie - ex 'Furness Withy shipping line'

My father served in the RNR during World War 2, and was Commanding Officer of HMS Tirana in the Mediterranean during 1942. He was also later in charge of a corvette of smaller naval vessels,and was awarded the MBE by King George VI for bravery at sea. In 1945 he returned to the Merchant fleet, and sailed with Furness Withy, Prince Line and Pacific line as a master mariner, retiring to Glasgow and then Liverpool as Marine Superintendent for Furness Pacific Line sailing out to Seattle and Panama (a round trip). He finally retired in the late 1970s to the Wirral, and died in May 1984.

He was a member of the Liverpool branch of the Sea Urchins, and I have asked them to find old friends or contacts, who may have served with him in the Royal Naval Reserve during WW2 or in Furness Withy after 1945. He knew several master mariners in and around Liverpool, in particular a Capt. Cooper, who I think was a member of Trinity House, and he lived in North Wales.

I'm trying to piece together my father's biography, so any information concerning the above, would be much appreciated. please contact Gerry Myles who will kindly forward the message to me.

Yours sincerely,

Robin Leslie

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com