Enigma forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Forum: Enigma forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Alternative compact chainsets

I'm thinking of replacing a Campag square taper 39/53 with a compact c/set, but undecided about outboard cups, especially Power Torque with bearings pressed on to cranks, none-self-extracting cranks and bearings exposed to winter weather.

Alternatives (not Shimano!) seem to be
- Stronglight with sealed square taper b/bracket
- FSA with outboard cups but separate bearings and self-extracting cranks?
- SRAM ditto?

Any thoughts from fellow Enigmatics (and Mark/Jim) on comparative wear/life of any of the above, suitability for Enigma bottom bracket/frame, and any other relevant comments?

Re: Alternative compact chainsets

Hi Tony

Sram would be my choice, self extracting bolts too!

Best regards

Mark

bad heel clearance on sram though.

Thanks Mark, I was leaning towards SRAM.

What's this about heel clearance, h? Do you mean heels against chainstays or ankles against crank? I've never had such problems before, unless I deliberately twisted my foot off-centre on the pedal. Do you use cleats with float? Having been brought up on nailed-on metal shoe plates (you had to get 'em right or suffer bad knees), I've always used 'no float' as I prefer the more solid feel on the pedal.

I have 165mm FSA cranks with maximum float and I simply deal with the issue of scuffing the crank with my heal by covering these with electrical tape.

I rather tape over the cranks than knacker my knees!

Email  

Hi Tony

I've not come across any heal clearance issues with Sram.

Best regards

Mark

Thanks guys, no problems then - nor with my knees, Arran

Happy Christmas and a safe New Year

Have just noticed this thread and not sure if this is of assistance. I live in Australia and last year put together a bike using various components based on an Echo frame. Used Chris King BB with Sram Force Compact crankset (172.5 crankarms) Has been fine for me.
Cheers

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com