Enigma forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Enigma forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alternative compact chainsets

I'm thinking of replacing a Campag square taper 39/53 with a compact c/set, but undecided about outboard cups, especially Power Torque with bearings pressed on to cranks, none-self-extracting cranks and bearings exposed to winter weather.

Alternatives (not Shimano!) seem to be
- Stronglight with sealed square taper b/bracket
- FSA with outboard cups but separate bearings and self-extracting cranks?
- SRAM ditto?

Any thoughts from fellow Enigmatics (and Mark/Jim) on comparative wear/life of any of the above, suitability for Enigma bottom bracket/frame, and any other relevant comments?

Re: Alternative compact chainsets

Hi Tony

Sram would be my choice, self extracting bolts too!

Best regards

Mark

bad heel clearance on sram though.

Thanks Mark, I was leaning towards SRAM.

What's this about heel clearance, h? Do you mean heels against chainstays or ankles against crank? I've never had such problems before, unless I deliberately twisted my foot off-centre on the pedal. Do you use cleats with float? Having been brought up on nailed-on metal shoe plates (you had to get 'em right or suffer bad knees), I've always used 'no float' as I prefer the more solid feel on the pedal.

I have 165mm FSA cranks with maximum float and I simply deal with the issue of scuffing the crank with my heal by covering these with electrical tape.

I rather tape over the cranks than knacker my knees!

Hi Tony

I've not come across any heal clearance issues with Sram.

Best regards

Mark

Thanks guys, no problems then - nor with my knees, Arran

Happy Christmas and a safe New Year

Have just noticed this thread and not sure if this is of assistance. I live in Australia and last year put together a bike using various components based on an Echo frame. Used Chris King BB with Sram Force Compact crankset (172.5 crankarms) Has been fine for me.
Cheers