Enigma forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Forum: Enigma forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Titanium Seatpost in Steel Frame

Hi all.

Did a quick search but didn't find anything. I have an Enigma Elite steel frame (wonderful) and am considering a new seatpost for it (would like zero setback). I can't use carbon because I use Carradice post-mounted luggage. I'd like to use titanium for a bit of spring. Can I use a titanium post in a steel frame, does anyone know? Are there any corrosion or sticking issues to think about?

Thanks very much for any opinions.

Best wishes
Ben

Email  
Re: Titanium Seatpost in Steel Frame

Hi Ben

There are no real issues putting a Ti post in a steel frame. Its a good idea to use a high quality grease, I recommend Ti prep or copperslip and be sure to take the post out every 3 months and re-grease.

Best regards

Mark

I used a Ti post in a steel frame for several years with no adverse problems. As Mark says, use a decent grease and periodically take it out and regrease. Mark says 3 months but I only did it once/year!

Many thanks for the replies Mark / Tony. Sounds good.

Email  

Hi Ben,

What ever you do don't buy a Use Alien Ti seatpost...... Use-less if you ask me! Crappy seat clamp mech means your saddle will always tilt/slip mid ride!
If you do buy one, make sure you carry a 3mm hex key..... and have a ready supply of replacement bolts as you strip the head of the tightening clamp!

..... I've got one here for £50 if yer want it.... free postage

Firt class salesmanship that man! I think I'll take the advice but not the post!

Email  

Ben,

I am glad that you raised this thread as one of my previous titanium bikes from Mark has also had a titanium seat post fitted. This has never been re-greased for nearly five years!

Fortunately it lifted straight out without any problems.

Big Ron,

This is also a Alien Ti seatpost, however I have never had any problems with it slipping. Mine just creaks!

Email  

Hi Ben, just to let you know I've used Carradice luggage with a carbon seat post and no issues at all. Toured in Northern France with a Super C with about 7kgs in it. Not sure if that meant I was just lucky but never really occurred to me there would be any problem with this!

Email  

Thanks for info Toddy - nice to know.

I also use the Super C.

Thanks for the info re. Alien posts Big Ron.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com