Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I think I have Asperger's Syndrome..

Dear Dr. Robert,
I'm 15. My mom has been looking into it and she and I agree that I probably have it. I have trouble in social situations. Sometimes I'm painfully shy around people I don't know well or at all. With the few people I feel comfortable around, I'm a total motor-mouth. And I'm kind of.. Selective about who I choose to even speak to. I learned to speak at an average age, although I had a few difficulties. I've always used large words, I knew what "photosynthesis" and "feline" meant in first grade. I have an above-average IQ (and test scores to prove it). No one ever screened me for disorders, my mother always had her suspicions though. I have plenty of aquaintences, even a few friends, and I've managed to get two best friends. I'm really awkward in social situations though. Sometimes people ask me why I'm always so tense.. I never even noticed. I try really hard in school, but I struggle to get all my work done... I'm far too meticulous. When I was in middleschool, I had hardly any friends, I related more easily with my teachers than with my peers. People always tell me I'm talking in a monotone.. Even when I think I'm speaking with inflection and excitement. I always have a hard time judging whether the people I talk to are interested in what I'm saying or not.. And sometimes end up having rather one-sided conversations. I'm working on it though. If I have Asperger's Syndrome, I think I'm highly functional. I'm involved in marching band and chorus, although I struggle in band for lack of coordination. Recently, during the halftime show at a football game, I lost my balance and fell during a movement. Sometimes I nearly trip over my own feet (only sometimes).. Lately, I've been pushing myself to put myself in social situations and be more aware of people's reactions. It's not easy though. I got picked on and harassed all though elementary school and middle school and even a bit now for being different. I struggle with severe depression sometimes. I'm lucky to have a supportive family and a few close friends to rely on. Should I see a psychologist? And.. Do you think I have Asperger's Syndrome?
Thanks,
Holly

Re: I think I have Asperger's Syndrome..

Hi, Holly--

I could not possibly diagnose Asperger's syndrome without an extensive interview in person, but if this concerns you, or if you think that some specialized help might make things easier to deal with, by all means I would recommend a consultation and evaluation by a psychologist, preferably one experienced in understanding and diagnosing Asperger's.

Be well.

Thanks, I thought that was probably the case, but hey, it never hurts to ask. I'm going to try to see a psychologist soon.

I doesnt really be doctor and i not even knows what aspergers syndrome is but i does thinks you could TRY speaking in LOUDER voice. If you does SPEAKS in low voice then you usually does SEEMS like you not wants to draw atention or maybe that you be a bit NERVOUS. And when other people DOES notices that then maybe you DOES get nervous.

If you does speaks in LOUDER voice you does also gets some confidence. Maybe it not works maybe it does works. Also you shoud not THINKS that if you does speaks to someone you maybe embarass YOURSELF. I not thinks that DOES be happens. Just talks about stuff you does knows or does FEELS natural. If there DOES be stuff you not knows or you not knows you can always SAYS things like 'ok' 'thats nice' and 'really?'. Others opinions not really matters i think too. If someone does be mean then i THINKS that be their own fault not your.

Be well,
~Lega