Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I miss myself. Help me please.

Hello Dr Robert.

I thank you for everything you are doing.

I was the most confident energetic girl I have ever met. I was social and funny and believed I could have everything I wanted. But now all is ruined.
I have this weird obsession. I keep thinking about my eyes all the time. It's like I am afraid that my eyes aren't matched. It is stupid because I know I am fine. But I literally think about them almost every minute of my life. And it has now brought pain to them. They literally hurt as I think about it.I can't even look people in the eyes. It is uncomfortable and I always have to think: Oh no, I have to talk to him ,I have to look him in the eyes. I have to think about such little things normal people don't. I want to forget about it and move on. I miss myself so much. I need your help. And I can't talk to a psychotherapist or anything like that. I would literally destroy my family and I love them too much to do so. I would really appreciate it even if you could just write something inspirational so I can have a common sense again. I don't want to be afraid anymore.
Help me. Please.
Best wishes,
Lenna

Re: I miss myself. Help me please.

Hi Lenna

I do not know if this will help, but I think what you are experiencing right now is similar to what is called Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). I am a psychology major, but aside from what little I know, I cannot tell you whether you have that disorder or not, except that what you say is very similar to it.

I really think seeing a psychotherapist will help you. I know it feels very hard to hurt and disappoint your family, but if this obsession gets to the point where maybe you can't even talk properly to people anymore... Then, if this gets worse, it will not only strip your life of any normalcy, it will also affect your family and make it difficult. So in the end, they will get affected whether you deal with this now or later.

I'm glad that you know your thoughts are not rational and logical. I am also sure that you have very pretty eyes and they are evenly matched, or else you would have already been picked on and laughed at long before as a kid. No matter what happens, try not to believe the thoughts coming into your head, because to let yourself believe it may lead to self-harming behaviors (such as wanting plastic surgery, hurting your eyes).

I know psychologists have therapies to help those with obsessive complusive disoder, and this is similar to it, only what you are obsessing over are your eyes, and you are being compelled to do certain actions because of it (keep looking until it hurts). The best way would be to go see a psychologist, but you can try stopping the compulsive actions such as looking in the mirror or avoiding gazes. They will be hard to do, though, so if you are struggling to stop your compulsive behavior, I suggest you get some professional help. Hope this helps.

Hello Cassandra,

Thank you for your post. It really is comforting to know that there are still people out there willing to help people like me. All you said is very true.

Thank you once again,
Lenna

I really don't think going to a therapist would have as bad an effect on your familly as you think. You are keeping all these thoughts and feelings in your head and not expressing them, thus they become amplified and distorted, blown out of proportion. Loving, caring family members would most likely think 'I hope she gets better and if seeing a therapist helps that, then good for her' rather than wanting you to not see one and continue to suffer. You could also go see your regular clinician by yourself to discuss this matter and they could advise you, you don't have to go straight into seeing a therapist.