Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: constant

I'm sure there are a few. Of 6 billion people 1% is 60 million. All those psychopaths and so few serial killers.

I tricked my best friend into getting in a chicken coop as a kid. Then locked him in it.

Whitewolf
I tricked my best friend into getting in a chicken coop as a kid. Then locked him in it.

I wonder, how'd he get out?

Toby
Whitewolf

I wonder, how'd he get out?

...I let him out. You don't lock your friend in a coop and leave him there. Thats not proper at all.

...I let him out. You don't lock your friend in a coop and leave him there. Thats not proper at all.

How long did he spend in there? :P

"That's not proper at all"!? It's not proper to lock him in a coop in the first place! :)

Whitewolf

No, a proper thing would have been to set the coop on fire. (a joke)

Well.. it seemed like the right thing to do.

I washed my aunts dog in gasoline as a child. That dog hated me till the end of time. Then he thought my uncle was me and hated him.

Gas is the ultimate pyro fuel. I love watching it burn or igniting fumes and watching the explosion. Drifting again...

Anyway gotta go check on a friend. His wife took their two kids and left him yesterday. Kids shouldn't marry.

I misread that. I thought you said you washed the dog in petrol and then burned it... That would've been evil.

You should've taken the coop (if it was moveable) and put it in a stream. :)
Anyway, enough with the ways to kill coop-stuck children. :D

Whitewolf
I thought I went to Heaven once. Turns out your brain just releases some chemical that makes you feel happy as you are dying. But in those few moments I was truely happy. Then felt this terrible surge of energy rip through my body. And poof... back in this God forsaken planet with you people again.

So, you're an alien. Which galaxy, what planet are you from?

Whitewolf
Ever since then I've wanted to die. Not commit suicide but just die. Just to feel that true feeling of actual happiness again.

Magic is just a trick you don't understand.

I guess the Void is like the anticonstant. Rips away the meaning of your life and cheapens your existance. I think antisocial people are more likely to become dangerous rather than social ones. We may use them but we have more purpose in our daily life and less prone to meltdown.

Interesting. To go antisocial is to more likely become dangerous. Where as those who are active in society are more likely to use and abuse people but less likely to lost stability.

I think normal people who lack a sense of belonging just become depressed? Probably drug and alchol abuse?

*yawn*

Sorry, I just don't hear anything at all when you speak.

Hexi
I think your definition is wrong…

Ok. We could call it (I am assuming you are referring to my understanding of consciousness) awareness. Or we could call it nothing, as no-thing. But I think you are defining consciousness differently than I am. You are, if I have it right, referring to thoughts, beliefs, ideas, opinions, emotions, etc as consciousness. Right or no? If I am right about what you are saying, then no, I am not referring to any of that. That is what I would call the contents of consciousness, which indeed are always changing. I am referring to something more fundamental than that. Literally, the am in I am.

Free will is an illusion

On the most basic level of analysis, free will is indeed an illusion. It has been my observation that there is no doer who has free will to exercise. On the other hand, on a more conventional level, we can speak of a person who makes choices and decisions and acts.

What i'm trying to say is, that "you" can be "you" but also it can be what *i" want thus not being really you, but an illusion of you that i created.

If you don’t mind, say more about this please. I don’t quite get what you are saying here.

Ecce Homo

If you don’t mind, say more about this please. I don’t quite get what you are saying here.

Eep, i'm about to head out so i can't get into this now. I'm positive uknown knows what i mean though.

Ecce Homo
I like your responses Hexi. And no, I’m not being facetious. ;-)

Unknown
Must one have a constant to function?

I have a constant. It is consciousness. I am defining consciousness as the space within which everything that can be experienced (including thought, emotion and action on the personal level) arises. It is constant in that it never changes, is never altered and never ceases. When all my definitions of self fall, this remains. It is the "am" in "I am". But that’s just my experience.

Ah. I can say that. I am. I will consider if it is enough just to be. Intellectually, this suffices. I am. And there is no blank to fill in. Just. I am.

And on an existential level, this response resonates with me. I would describe existence similarly. I guess I'm hung up on having an identity. What you describe as consciousness, I have always described as soul. That thing which makes you uniquely you, that exists before you and persists after you. Consciousness is a better word than soul, maybe. I think there is some a priori knowledge that connects each of us with the sum total of human consciousness since the dawn of time until the end of it, and it is this a priori collective consciousness that man continually and habitually defines as some deity or another.

Ick. Major digression. Sorry.

Unknown
I guess I'm hung up on having an identity.

This I understand all too well. Virtually everyone is hung up on this. What makes you different is that you see the falseness of it, while most others are firmly committed to believing in it with all their might. It’s their true religion.

What you describe as consciousness, I have always described as soul. That thing which makes you uniquely you, that exists before you and persists after you. Consciousness is a better word than soul, maybe. I think there is some a priori knowledge that connects each of us with the sum total of human consciousness since the dawn of time until the end of it, and it is this a priori collective consciousness that man continually and habitually defines as some deity or another.

Yeah, it’s the place where everyone is literally one. Well, it is the place where oneness begins.

It is so… fundamental. I can’t think of a better word. It’s like asking, who were you before you were born? What is it that is within you that has remained the same throughout childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, becoming a parent, and so on.

Ick. Major digression. Sorry.

LOL! It’s your thread, no? :-)