Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: depression

Great answer Ricardo. I already read those pages and they really explain things which unfortunately are misunderstood by many people, including some who have posted incorrect information here. Yes, it is kind to try to help someone with a question, but giving wrong information will do more harm than good.

The depression page has good links to depression self-evaluation tests online.

Thanks again Doctor Robert for making this space available and for your really excellent website.

How did I get Psychosis wrong Ricardo?

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, he's talking about 'Thought Disorder' not psychosi,. thought disorder is often considered a symptom of psychotic mental ilness, but it's not psychosis he's talking about.

Toby,

Formal thought disorder is a form of psychosis. There are many forms of psychosis, and thought disorder is one of them. I think you misunderstand that when you try to make a distinction between formal thought disorder and psychosis. It is really simple. Thought disorder is one characteristic symptom of schizophrenia which is psychosis, and there are other characteristic symptoms of psychosis as well, such as catatonia, paranoia, ideas of reference, etc. But it is all psychosis.

You went wrong in your answer to "intrusive thoughts" when you wrote that,

"Thoughs only start to move towards Psychosis if you think a higher entity or 'God' is planting those images/thoughts inside your head or guiding you to commit those acts."

That is incorrect. Read the Doctor's page on thought disorder, and you will see that schizophrenia can be characterized by thought disturbances in many different ways, not just if someone thinks a god is planting the thoughts.

Please try not to put misinformation out on a page that is meant to help people with serious questions. If you speak with authority, as you seem to like to do a lot, check your facts first.

Actually I was quoting Dr Joesph M Carter, PHD when I said that.

"You begin to move in the direction of a psychosis when you start believing these thoughts are not yours, that they have been inserted into your brain by a higher being, that you are being given commands for some significant purpose"

And that is true.

As for Thought Disorder being psychosis, All I've read is that it's only a symptom, but hey, you learn something new every day. :)

Hexi
i sometimes think that only the ignorant can be truly happy

I'm allowed to derail my own thread?

I think that all the time. Maybe it's a grass is always greener thing, but all the really ignorant - not uneducated but actually not particularly intelligent - people I see seem so ... happy.

Agreed, but it also makes sense. The less you know, the less you know about how ugly the world really is. "Ignorance is bliss" and all that. :) The thread was already derailed, anyways!

Am I allowed to take part in the derailment of your thread? :-)

Unknown
I think that all the time. Maybe it's a grass is always greener thing, but all the really ignorant - not uneducated but actually not particularly intelligent - people I see seem so ... happy.

You know, this hasn’t been my experience. On one level, I see unconscious people as asleep, fully and completely immersed in what I think of as their dream world. It’s a dream because they believe almost every thought that appears within their minds and they confuse that running internal commentary with their entire sense of self. Out of this comes society as we see it. And I don’t see truly peaceful people populating this society. I see people who are happy when things appear to go the way they think it should go on occasion. But I also see how precarious it is to attach one’s well being to getting what one wants. I see the arguments over trivial matters. (And it’s almost all trivial.) I see the wars, the displaced poor, the sick in need of care that isn’t readily available. The fact that there are underprivileged in a world where other people have so much. I see in America people who have access to so much and who are yet still struggling with meaninglessness and despair and confusion and bigotries of all shapes and sizes. Greed, indifference, hatred, violence of all kinds, fear, loneliness, and yes, depression. I see it all around me. On one level. On the deepest level though, there is nothing but well being and peace and yes love. But on the level most people are used to seeing things, there is a lot of pain. This is why I don’t see the unconscious as mostly happy.

Why do you see what you call "the ignorant" as happy Unknown?

Ecce Homo

Why do you see what you call "the ignorant" as happy Unknown?

Here is an example. Let's say one buys a new pair of shoes, he/she is happy that he/she can run with good shoes now. Would the person still be happy about his new shoes if they knew that in order for them to get those shoes cheaply, someone, somewhere has to work 12h/day 7d/week, getting paid less than a dollar/day? No, they would feel ashamed or justify it with nonsense but since they don't know, it doesn't weigh in their mind.

EDIT: I just derailed the thread even more, sorry! I'll stop now, honest! :)

Awareness is quite painful to me, at times. I can't share it.

When I casually observe someone in some setting, I often know what they will do before they do. I see the eventuality of the situation. I know how it will play out. I recognize some unexpected bit of chaos my alter the outcome, but typically things progress as I predict. And I hate that. Most of the time, I try not to see. Well, actually, some of the patterns are comforting to see play out again and again, and some are not. I'm thinking of the ones which are not at the moment.

And perhaps happy is the wrong word. Blissfully unaware is better.

These people seem to have no control over their lives, just drifting along with whatever happens, neither overly startled by injustice nor particularly impressed with success, unless it's somehow personal. I don't mean they don't have emotions. They feel pain when injured or can't meet selfish desires. They feel joy when they get things or whatever. But the real weight of the universe never enters their minds, doesn't weigh down on their shoulders. They've just relinquished all control and go wherever the system directs, never questioning whether they belong or fit in, content just to be any part of it.

Ask most anyone, he or she will say greed is bad. But no one feels a responsibility to end it. I do. I wish I didn't, but I do. And I both know that it could be done and that it won't be done, and that is just so frustrating. I'm sure I'm projecting, but I sometimes can't shake the feeling that I would be "happy" if I could relinquish all control like it seems they do and just drift along, waiting to see what happens, not responsible to make it. And so, they seem happy to me. Again, probably the wrong word, especially now that I think about it outloud.

p.s. derail the thread, please. This is far more productive than whether or not one can be depressed and sad or whether or not one has posted incorrect information in a completely other thread. ;)

I know what I'm looking for, but not how to find it. I think it may be here somewhere, or at least parts of it, but I can't find something I don't have unless I happen to see it and realize it's what I was looking for. So, honestly, the original intent of the thread was not to talk about the specific topic of the thread, if that makes any **** sense at all.

That is actually quite interesting. I sometimes tend to interject in events, just to see how the outcome differs from my original assesment with no material gain, purely for amusement.

Another point is that, instead of wanting to change the world i smile when i see where it's headed, how people scream that someone should do something, always expecting someone else to save them and this disgusts me but it is ironic at the same time. If people woulnd't be selfish, ignorant cowards they, themselves, could change the world to be a beatiful place. There wouldn't be a single starving, homeless or curably sick person in the world. Heck, US could accomplish this with the money they've spent on the occupations.

The point of this is, the change has to be collective.

Hexi
That is actually quite interesting. I sometimes tend to interject in events, just to see how the outcome differs from my original assesment with no material gain, purely for amusement.

I forbid myself to interject.

Hexi
Another point is that, instead of wanting to change the world i smile when i see where it's headed, how people scream that someone should do something, always expecting someone else to save them and this disgusts me but it is ironic at the same time. If people woulnd't be selfish, ignorant cowards they, themselves, could change the world to be a beatiful place. There wouldn't be a single starving, homeless or curably sick person in the world. Heck, US could accomplish this with the money they've spent on the occupations.

The point of this is, the change has to be collective.

Yes, sometimes I smile. I am comforted by the familiarity, by the predictability, sometimes even by the futility of it all. But it is not a malicious smile (with me) it is more a smile as if I were sharing a joke with the universe. And sometimes I wonder why no one else around me got the joke.

unknown

I forbid myself to interject.

You're missing out on hilarity, just remember to be subtle.

Yes, sometimes I smile. I am comforted by the familiarity, by the predictability, sometimes even by the futility of it all. But it is not a malicious smile (with me) it is more a smile as if I were sharing a joke with the universe. And sometimes I wonder why no one else around me got the joke.

It's the inherent absurdity of it all. I like absurd and over-the-top humour.

LOL:)

I like absurd humor a great deal too. It's amusing, like I think the definition of amusing indicates it should feel, if you know what I mean.

Grosse Point Blank is maybe one of the funniest movies in the world to me.