Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Irrational fears.

I'm also diabetic, it's just when someone else is sticking a needle into my vein that bothers me. Maybe it's Trypanophobia, i don't know. I've never had any bad experiences with medical procedures either, so i have no idea where it came from.

EDIT: I haven't had a blood test taken in years because of this. Last time they tried i kicked the nurse.

Are you really diabetic? Or are you messing with me? :-)

I hate it too, If I look it freaks me out as I see the blood sucking up into the needle.
Usually phobias start with a bad experience, as far As I know. Phobia is a funny word, it means "irrational fear"... But people have Nucleomituphobia a fear of nuclear weapons.... How's that irrational?

Why on earth would a lie about being diabetic? Paranoid much? :) It's no so much the blood being sucked out as it is the needle going in. Anyways, i was hoping that someone would have input into it, like where it comes from and how to get rid of it.

According to our NHS the only way to completely eliminate a phobia is to "release the emotions" causing the phobia. There is also decondtioning which is a very succesful technique of eliminating phobias, there are many psychotherapy sites with details on how to decondition yourself to a phobia, I'm not going to waste your time writing the list of steps etc.

toby why dont you just tell him how??? That's what he asked for....

As a child I had an allergic reaction to something in the house that made my whole body break out. I had to keep going to the Dr to have blood drawn. But I have reclusive veins. So that **** nurse kept missing my vein. So my Mom did it as she was a nurse but you can see the scares on my arm where that nurse missed.

But then they made me go back to have more blood drawn...

At the doctors office I started fighting my mother, two nurses and a Dr. I refused to let them come near me with that needle. I fought my preteen butt off but after a few minutes I had no adrenaline or energy left. So I agreed to let them use a butterfly needle on me only if they gave me some water.

Turns out I was allergic to the new laundry detergent.

But for years I didn't want to get a shot or blood drawn. Needles that they pop in your upper arm don't bother me at all. I used to be unnerved by people trying to poke my veins. I guess it's mainly because there are a lot of incompetent nurses out there and I have reclusive veins. I can't stand it when they miss the vein and move the needle around in my arm looking for it.

I'm not afraid. I just don't enjoy unsatisfying pain.