Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Afraid to reach out to friends

Thank you Toby, I agree that professional help is best. I've already contacted a therapist but she could not schedule an appointment for me immediately, so I'm on a waiting list. I know there is not a magic fix or else I would have "cured" myself by now. I guess what I was really looking for when I posted this question, was some advice on how to reach out again, and whether or not it's a good idea to be honest with my friend J about the anxiety that I feel when we correspond. Or maybe I should keep the conversation superficial for a while and ease my way into a real friendship again? I am afraid of over-sharing and scaring her off.

I do intend to work on this with a therapist once I am able to get an appointment. Your post has reminded me that it's been several weeks since I last heard from the therapist that I contacted, and I am going to call her within the next few days to remind her about my request for an appointment. Thanks again for your reply.

I guess what I was really looking for when I posted this question, was some advice on how to reach out again, and whether or not it's a good idea to be honest with my friend J about the anxiety that I feel when we correspond.

Personally, I wouldn't tell her about the anxiety. There really isn't much basis for not telling her, and It's probably the opposite of what a psychotherapist would advise you to do, But that's how I would handle the situation.

Or maybe I should keep the conversation superficial for a while and ease my way into a real friendship again?

I would do exactly that...

Thanks again for your reply.

It's Ok, I just wish I could've been a bit more help. :)

Hello NC. I like Toby's response to you too.

I guess what I was really looking for when I posted this question, was some advice on how to reach out again, and whether or not it's a good idea to be honest with my friend J about the anxiety that I feel when we correspond.

"Feel the fear and do it anyway". A cliché, yes. But there is truth to it even so. If the anxiety is not crippling, then maybe just taking the action, in spite of how you feel, might be your best bet.

Also, you will scare J off if you share too much... are you sure? Are you absolutely positive that J will be scared off if you are open and honest with her? Isn't it just as possible that J might be as accepting of you as she was before? Isn't it even possible that she might appreciate that you trusted her with what you are struggling with right now?

I don't know the answer to those questions. I presented them as a means of inviting you to gently challenge your own thinking on this, to introduce a little flexibility into what you believe. As Toby points out, cognitive therapy can prove very helpful in situations like yours. You can begin to practice a little cognitive therapy on your own, right here and now by consciously working with the thoughts that leave you feeling anxious.

Good luck NC and god bless! Remember, J may have been an amazing friend to you, but you would also have to be amazing to have that kind of friend in the first place! :-)