Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: the Muslim boy who wants to kill himself

Thanks, Ecce Homo--

I have been reading and enjoying your contributions here on this Forum.

I am not down on all religion. As an evolutionary psychologist, I understand that the human mind has a need for reverence, explanation, and belief, and for many human beings religious doctrine supplies it. Of course, in my view, that is a somewhat infantile stage beyond which one eventually must grow emotionally and philosophically, but that is just one man's p.o.v.

If you will take a look at my piece called "On Religion," you will see that my argument is not with religion per se, but with the demands of many religious people for "respect," which to them often means "no criticism allowed." Of course I despise fundamentalism of any kind--religious, political, sexual, whatever.

My problem with the less vociferous religious types--the gentle ones who call themselves "people of faith,' and who would never knowingly hurt anyone, is that often they provide cover for the rabid fundamentalists by arguing that religious beliefs should be above criticism. Why should any belief be above open-eyed consideration? I certainly do not owe "respect" to what I see as superstitious fantasy. Examples:

"God" demands that I cut off the foreskin of my newborn's penis.

Homosexuals are sinners.

Abortion is killing a "baby."

etc., etc., etc.

And I certainly fail to see why a so-called "church" should be tax exempt in the U.S. Why should scientologists, for example, get a free ride on the backs of the taxpayers?

As you point out, political fundamentalism causes quite as much harm as the religious kind. "America is the greatest country in the world, so anything we do is justified," a la Dick Cheaney, has killed and maimed thousands, just as Muslim fundamentalism has.

Anyway, thanks for reading the piece about the young Muslim, and be well.

Dr. Robert,

Thank you so much for responding here and of course as I said before, for providing this forum for us to begin with. I genuinely appreciate it and the helpful words you have made available for all to read. In the sea of misinformation and confusion that the internet often is, your website is often an oasis of wisdom.

Since I referred to myself as a person of faith, I am going to assume that your comments are directed, at least in part, to me. Then again, you know what they say about assuming, right? Anyway, I have run across this idea that people of faith, the non-fundamentalists ones like myself, provide cover for my more fundamentalist brethren. I'll be honest in saying that I have never understood this claim because I have never done it myself. I for one have never, even in my own fundamentalist stage, asked anyone else not to question faith or religion. I read your "On Religion" post and I agree with most of what you said there. The only person I can speak for is myself and I for one see that all beliefs should be questioned, since they are. I have also never asked that anyone respect my own religious beliefs, which is why I don't do arguments about the existence of god. I can see that everyone believes what they believe, with and without my approval or acceptance and most of the time, I'm ok with that. I believe that god works in all things and with infinite intelligence. My own experiences have lead me to believe in an eternal wisdom that is beyond all labels while simultaneously embodying what they represent. This eternal wisdom certainly never requires belief or respect, from theists or atheists, which probably explains my lack of real rancor against believers and non-believers of any and all stripes. As far as I can tell, everyone deserves and is a recipient of love, exactly as they are and as they believe in the present moment. So, no arguments about respecting religious beliefs will be coming from my end since I see that it isn't ultimately necessary. And yes, I am also aware that it would appear that my view puts me in the minority, within both religious and secular communities. And that's alright with me too.

But you could be right about other people asking for religious beliefs to be respected and never criticized though. I just don't run across it much.

You are most welcome. It seems that you and I are substantially in agreement in that I also imagine (feel) a font of wisdom which seems to be quite beyond "myself," but to which I can become attuned at times. I believe also, in accordance with what you have written that all beings--both human and non-human--must be included in a vast brotherhood/sisterhood of sentient, alive, feeling entities.

Thank you for your valuable contribution here, and be well.