Medical Gas Experts Forum

A way to discuss your problems, solutions, ideas, etc.

Medical Gas Experts Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Oxygen Filters

Interesting question,

It has been my experience that filters for the oxygen system are located prior to the supply source valve and should be at least duplex. Now that I have stated the obvious, it is possible that the Central piping system is old and was installed without a proper inert gas purge resulting in oxides in the pipe. The Hospital may be trying to either fool the certifier or avoid an expensive repipe. I believe blowing the system clean with dry USP nitrogen would be safe for both the Patients and the Hospitals legal department. To the best of my knowledge only a repipe will solve the problem. Bottom line if the system was installed correctly and the vendor is providing the customer with medical grade oxygen there should be no reason to have filters down stream of the source valve. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

We have come across a few jobs lately having in-line oxygen filters. I have a few concerns: Threaded fittings in the ceiling and the fact the hospital may never replace the filters causing a pressure drop. Any comments?

Re: Re: Oxygen Filters

These jobs are downstream of the zone valves on all of the floors. The existing piping is contaminated with copper oxides. The cost of all of these filters is now exceeding the cost of a new riser back to the source. It's like putting a bandaid on a bleeding ulcer.

Replying to:

Interesting question,

It has been my experience that filters for the oxygen system are located prior to the supply source valve and should be at least duplex. Now that I have stated the obvious, it is possible that the Central piping system is old and was installed without a proper inert gas purge resulting in oxides in the pipe. The Hospital may be trying to either fool the certifier or avoid an expensive repipe. I believe blowing the system clean with dry USP nitrogen would be safe for both the Patients and the Hospitals legal department. To the best of my knowledge only a repipe will solve the problem. Bottom line if the system was installed correctly and the vendor is providing the customer with medical grade oxygen there should be no reason to have filters down stream of the source valve. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Replying to:

We have come across a few jobs lately having in-line oxygen filters. I have a few concerns: Threaded fittings in the ceiling and the fact the hospital may never replace the filters causing a pressure drop. Any comments?

Re: Re: Re: Oxygen Filters

An additional comment;

If the only contaminants that are present in the test samples are copper oxides, and the existing copper tubing was cleaned for oxygen prior to installation, I suggest replacing the heated areas or welded joints in the Central Piping System. Start with the supply piping, if contaminated, and work your way down the main lines to the risers. Break up the repairs over time and pre fab the repair sections to minimize the back feed stations and down time for the hospital. As you progress there will be less contaminates cutting the cost of replacing the filters. Remember to cut out the welded fittings beyond the discoloration of the pipe to eliminate the oxides and blow out the lines at every possible opportunity to remove the excess flakes, be sure to white rag test the result prior to certification or reestablishing the oxygen flow/use.

Also the NFPA states that a Hospital Employee with knowledgeable background can install and test so, some of the work can be done in house. I highly recommend that any installer meet the ASME and AWS Brazing performance qualification, and a third party certification be performed prior to reestablishing the oxygen supply.

This way the Hospital can correct the situation over time and not have the costly expense of a repipe. I would suggest replacing any zone valves that have not been installed correctly however, the filters could remain to collect oxides down stream of the contaminated zone valves to save the cost of opening and closing the walls.

If I had to guess I would bet that this solution has already been addressed but, well I had a little time on my hands, good luck.

Replying to:

These jobs are downstream of the zone valves on all of the floors. The existing piping is contaminated with copper oxides. The cost of all of these filters is now exceeding the cost of a new riser back to the source. It's like putting a bandaid on a bleeding ulcer.

Replying to:

Interesting question,

Replying to: