The jg4fun Discussion Board

Here you can post your comments on what you have viewed.

The jg4fun Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

Sorry you didn't get it to work. Maybe you should now seriously consider wether or not to renew your AOL when it comes up??? AOL certainly treat their users as idiots.... Best of Luck!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

I'm pretty sure I won't be renewing the AOL contract ... even though the kids like it. However, they'd like it even more if they had a machine where they could access the net when I wanted to use the main pc! I have heard from one of the staff on this ADSL forum - well, I'll quote what he said, he explained things quite well:

=================================

One big difference...

US uses PPPoE which I suspect is nicely intergrated into the AOL software.

UK uses PPPoA so probably not so well intergrated into stuff.

This means US kit cant be imported to work in the UK - yet.

But wait PPPoE is on the horizon (may be active on some lines even), August for full release, but only for people with a Home 500 based service (i.e. wires-only). That would be the time to badger AOL UK over the networking issue as they should be able to import some known working AOL US kit and good chance it can be made to work here.

BTW PPPoE still requires the use of an ADSL modem, since the PPPoE does not mean the ADSL signal is Ethernet at the phone socket, which many people seem to thing it is. The difference is that as it is common in the US, AOL have conquered it before.

Compare that to the reply I got from AOL's tech dept when I wrote asking for an explanation of their "router":

Thank you for your query today. We are always more than happy to help with any problems that might arise.

We are very excited about the potential for home networking to help your family take full advantage of broadband connections and dramatically expand the role that AOL plays in your daily life.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us through our Member Services Area.

Have a Pleasant day and a Wonderful weekend

Kind Regards,

==================================

You're right ..... they certainly treat their users as idiots!!!

Cheers

Moira

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sorry you didn't get it to work. Maybe you should now seriously consider wether or not to renew your AOL when it comes up??? AOL certainly treat their users as idiots.... Best of Luck!!!