The jg4fun Discussion Board

Here you can post your comments on what you have viewed.

The jg4fun Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

I hear what you're saying, and that's certainly been my experience, but when you get other well respected names on highly technical forums stating that they HAVE shared an AOL connection, who am I to argue? For instance, I got this tonight posted in reply to something I put on an ADSL forum:

==============================================

>Windows XP Pro with AOL 8 running one PC as a server and 4 other PC's (1 on win95) and now 2 x laptops on a wireless USB Hub, all can access the internet for browsing and AOL web mail and all this is possible, as I have AnalogX proxy running on the Server PC

>All the IP# are in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range and it works fine

>Only one AOL account name can be signed on at any time, unless you have 2 or more AOL accounts

=============================================

What do you suggest I do? Post back and call this guy a liar?

Moira

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

You have been told countless times that generally AOL BB CANNOT be shared. Why do you never listen? Of course KazaaLite and EMulePlus are crap. They grab all available ports on your PC and you should virus check anything you d/l from these programmes. Apart from this KazaaLite is actually illegal.

Replying to:

Well, kazaalite and Emuleplus aren't crap, although I'm beginning to think you may be right re AOL, having spent a ridiculous amount of time IMing someone from pppshar trying to get my BB to share ... at the end of which he was forced to admit, suggesting I "changed the gateway PC". LOL! An expensive solution and not one I feel is any more likely to work.

Moira

Replying to:

Probably because a lot of the popular software you people use is crap!! This would explain why there is little public support for it

Replying to:

I'm tempted to put a forum on my site, but I don't think I could cope with the extra time it would take up!

I'm pleased to see someone speaking out for the popular software a lot of people use, but few are prepared to publicly support ....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

Certainly not!! He has done it... I did after all say that GENERALLY, AOL BB cannot be shared. This person has used a third party software proxy - "AnalogX". How were your efforts with Comtun? And since you moved back to geocrappies your page also now throws constant debug errors (as does this one) So much for biggest and best....

Replying to:

I hear what you're saying, and that's certainly been my experience, but when you get other well respected names on highly technical forums stating that they HAVE shared an AOL connection, who am I to argue? For instance, I got this tonight posted in reply to something I put on an ADSL forum:

>Windows XP Pro with AOL 8 running one PC as a server and 4 other PC's (1 on win95) and now 2 x laptops on a wireless USB Hub, all can access the internet for browsing and AOL web mail and all this is possible, as I have AnalogX proxy running on the Server PC

>Only one AOL account name can be signed on at any time, unless you have 2 or more AOL accounts

Moira

Replying to:

You have been told countless times that generally AOL BB CANNOT be shared. Why do you never listen? Of course KazaaLite and EMulePlus are crap. They grab all available ports on your PC and you should virus check anything you d/l from these programmes. Apart from this KazaaLite is actually illegal.

Replying to:

Well, kazaalite and Emuleplus aren't crap, although I'm beginning to think you may be right re AOL, having spent a ridiculous amount of time IMing someone from pppshar trying to get my BB to share ... at the end of which he was forced to admit, suggesting I "changed the gateway PC". LOL! An expensive solution and not one I feel is any more likely to work.

Moira

Replying to:

Probably because a lot of the popular software you people use is crap!! This would explain why there is little public support for it

Replying to:

I'm tempted to put a forum on my site, but I don't think I could cope with the extra time it would take up!

I'm pleased to see someone speaking out for the popular software a lot of people use, but few are prepared to publicly support ....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

I used a third party proxy .... in fact I've tried a few, AnalogX included. I took one look at Comtun and decided it could wait until I felt stronger .... I will give it a go this afternoon, I have someone else's proxy to try as well, Simon from Ebuyerdotcon sent detailed instructions for using Proxyplus. They both sound SO complicated though, and I've spent so long trying to do this, without any success. And hearing different opinions even from experts is not very encouraging.

All that happens is I spend hours achieving nothing very much, and all I have to show for it is a network that's throwing up errors, where at least if I'd left things alone I could have had a functioning system and spent the time doing something more enjoyable on the net.

For instance, whenever I boot up now, I'm getting half a dozen "binding errors" where it seems this PC is trying to open some socket or other and connect to an IP address I don't have. It means nothing to me and I can't think of a solution other than go back to a system restore - and I might as well wait until I've wrecked the network some more with Comtun and Proxyplus.

I take your point about Geocities, those debugging errors used to annoy the hell out of me too, but I just disabled script debugging and set IE not to show script errors. But it is a real problem for me if I can't have a website where I can give people links to standalone pages - I might want to make pics available to people I've been walking with, for instance, but I wouldn't want them reading my index page!

Moira

Replying to:

Certainly not!! He has done it... I did after all say that GENERALLY, AOL BB cannot be shared. This person has used a third party software proxy - "AnalogX". How were your efforts with Comtun? And since you moved back to geocrappies your page also now throws constant debug errors (as does this one) So much for biggest and best....

Replying to:

Moira

Replying to:

Replying to:

Moira

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

FYI, Comtun doesn't do anything. That is, I follow the instructions to the letter and still get "page cannot be displayed" in the client pc browser.

Simon from Ebuyerdotcon had a go at helping me configure Proxy+ via IM, but even walking through all the settings one by one, we didn't have any success.

These people trying to help are not idiots, even if you think I am .... I'm just thoroughly confused about the whole issue now, particularly after seeing that link to the AOL router.

Moira

Replying to:

I used a third party proxy .... in fact I've tried a few, AnalogX included. I took one look at Comtun and decided it could wait until I felt stronger .... I will give it a go this afternoon, I have someone else's proxy to try as well, Simon from Ebuyerdotcon sent detailed instructions for using Proxyplus. They both sound SO complicated though, and I've spent so long trying to do this, without any success. And hearing different opinions even from experts is not very encouraging.

All that happens is I spend hours achieving nothing very much, and all I have to show for it is a network that's throwing up errors, where at least if I'd left things alone I could have had a functioning system and spent the time doing something more enjoyable on the net.

For instance, whenever I boot up now, I'm getting half a dozen "binding errors" where it seems this PC is trying to open some socket or other and connect to an IP address I don't have. It means nothing to me and I can't think of a solution other than go back to a system restore - and I might as well wait until I've wrecked the network some more with Comtun and Proxyplus.

I take your point about Geocities, those debugging errors used to annoy the hell out of me too, but I just disabled script debugging and set IE not to show script errors. But it is a real problem for me if I can't have a website where I can give people links to standalone pages - I might want to make pics available to people I've been walking with, for instance, but I wouldn't want them reading my index page!

Moira

Replying to:

Replying to:

Moira

Replying to:

Replying to:

Moira

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

Sorry you didn't get it to work. Maybe you should now seriously consider wether or not to renew your AOL when it comes up??? AOL certainly treat their users as idiots.... Best of Luck!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello!

I'm pretty sure I won't be renewing the AOL contract ... even though the kids like it. However, they'd like it even more if they had a machine where they could access the net when I wanted to use the main pc! I have heard from one of the staff on this ADSL forum - well, I'll quote what he said, he explained things quite well:

=================================

One big difference...

US uses PPPoE which I suspect is nicely intergrated into the AOL software.

UK uses PPPoA so probably not so well intergrated into stuff.

This means US kit cant be imported to work in the UK - yet.

But wait PPPoE is on the horizon (may be active on some lines even), August for full release, but only for people with a Home 500 based service (i.e. wires-only). That would be the time to badger AOL UK over the networking issue as they should be able to import some known working AOL US kit and good chance it can be made to work here.

BTW PPPoE still requires the use of an ADSL modem, since the PPPoE does not mean the ADSL signal is Ethernet at the phone socket, which many people seem to thing it is. The difference is that as it is common in the US, AOL have conquered it before.

Compare that to the reply I got from AOL's tech dept when I wrote asking for an explanation of their "router":

Thank you for your query today. We are always more than happy to help with any problems that might arise.

We are very excited about the potential for home networking to help your family take full advantage of broadband connections and dramatically expand the role that AOL plays in your daily life.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us through our Member Services Area.

Have a Pleasant day and a Wonderful weekend

Kind Regards,

==================================

You're right ..... they certainly treat their users as idiots!!!

Cheers

Moira

Replying to:

Sorry you didn't get it to work. Maybe you should now seriously consider wether or not to renew your AOL when it comes up??? AOL certainly treat their users as idiots.... Best of Luck!!!