Nicholas Scrolls Forum

Welcome to the Nicholas Scrolls Forum. We hope this forum to become a lively Gospel Believer's forum where you can discuss Biblical issues. Please keep the standard in which Jesus could participate.

Nicholas Scrolls Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charles Finney on Revival

Charles Finney ministered in true revival in upstate New York in the 1800's . This is the revival we need in this the last hour.

God bless you as you serve Him

Your brother Raymond, a small servant of the Great God of heaven

"Revival removes reproach from the church
A revival of religion is the only possible thing that can wipe away the reproach, which covers the Church, and restore religion to the place it ought to have in the estimation of the public. Without a revival, this reproach will cover the Church more and more, until it is overwhelmed with universal contempt. You may do anything else you please, and you may change the aspects of society in some respects, but you will do no real good; you only make it worse without a revival of religion. You may go and build a splendid new house of worship, and line your seats with damask, put up a costly pulpit, and get a magnificent organ, and everything of that kind, to make a show and dash, and in that way you may procure a sort of respect for religion among the wicked, but it does no good in reality. It rather does hurt. It misleads them as to the real nature of religion; and so far from converting them; it carries them farther away from salvation. Look wherever they have surrounded the altar of Christianity with splendour, and you will find that the impression produced is contrary to the true nature of religion. There must be a waking up of energy on the part of Christians, and an outpouring of God's Spirit, or the world will laugh at the Church."

Charles Finney, Lectures on Revivals of Religion, Chapter 2: When A Revival Is To Be Expected

My comments on Charles Finney and Revival

Dear Brother Raymond,

I disagree with his statement because I strongly view the concept of religion and religious virtue to be in opposition to what Christ really demonstrated for us. Where religion is a work of man - Faith is a virtue of God.

Against the apostasies of the Judeo religious sects, Jesus showed a better way to be pleasing to the Father. Instead of practicing empty religious ritual and tradition, it was more important to establish that one should have faith (trust) in God and apply him/herself to the simple and fundamental doctrines of Godliness as a way of life. There is a symbolic way to practice religion thereby preserving rememberance and there is a practical way to practice faith thereby achieving love and obedience. Which is more important to God? Jesus did not promote religion in any way -NO- He promoted a practical method for achieving relationship with the Father Creator thereby showing oneself to being true sons and daughters. Though it appears what Jesus brought to humanity was a type of revival, it was not because there was nothing of the Jewish traditions and practices to revive though He did participate in various feasts and festivals because there was a fulfilment to be achieved through them in HIS EXAMPLE. Therefore, Jesus was in essence a "nexus" promoting great change affecting the whole of humanity and not revival.

When viewed this way, it is easy to understand then that religion is basically a human response to the things of God and will always be influenced by the cultural context of the people to whom are being witnessed. This is why in every religion there is always so much division and strife that results. Faith on the other hand works differently and makes allowances for each individual to practice and believe as he/she so believes and chooses. Now where the symetry should be evident in Christianity is that "Christians" should be following the pattern and example of God's only Son rather than continuing ancient patterns of temple worship and religious ritual or worse, trying to mix the two. Trying to mix the two is like trying to mix oil and water - separation always results. The only way that true union can exist or even be possible is if all believers let go of the ancient and centuries long religious virtue and practice and take on the better example of practicing and walking as sons and daughter to God after the only reliable pattern that was shown them - Christ Jesus. In this way, religious, cultural and political divisions would dissolve and no matter what one's herritage once was, it would become mute because the truly born again creature starts taking on the new image as sons and/or daughters to God. Faith in essence then becomes a way of life and not some some weaker form of manmade religion.

My point is that we don't need any stinking revivals... No, no no no! What we need right now is a laying aside of all divisive cultural, political and religious divisions. We need to cast them all aside and make a sincere and concerted effort to make a genuine return to God in all humility and repentant fervor. I am boldly declaring that the children need at this very hour to cast all their supposed knowledge aside with their factious arguments and humbly present themselves to God beseeching Him to forgive their many transgressions and allow themselves to become the living and holy sacrifices that God so desires. That means that people everywhere in every religion need to forsake their empty religious works, idolatry, adultery, deceptions and every offensive precept and man-made doctrine and make a full and sincere surrender to Christ Jesus who is the only one qualified to save us. His example is the only thing we should be seeking and desiring for. All else is vanity, vanity, vanity.

This will ultimately be the same message and mission that Elijah is given. Will there be enough faith on earth to convince the children to make a return to God so that He can be their Lord and Father? Right now... it's not looking too good for the whole of humanity or the pool of contemporary Christianity. This is what my whole book, Apostasy Revealed, a personal witness and bold testimony of Christ Jesus in my life, is all about. Not too popular a subject among mainstreamers but a timely message nevertheless and one that will ultimately condemn many because like the people in Noah's time, they (so very many) are rejecting the message God has sent His Church. The only difference this time around is that the earth will be baptised in fire instead of water. All that bears no fruit shall be destroyed - dust to dust - ashes to ashes.

The hour of our testing is at hand. Will we come through the furnace unscathed or will we be burnt to a crisp? That's the question every believer should be asking him/herself. "Judgment begins with the household of God."

With all sincerity and love for the truth and our scattered brethren abroad,

Nicholas A. Stivers

If anyone thinks himself to be religious...

To: Nicholas A Stivers
Subject: My comments on Finney and Revival
Date: Apr 6, 2006 3:44 PM

Nicholas, blessed of God,

Is it perhaps that you may not be aware of the vernacular of brother Finney's day? , when he speaks of "religion" he in most cases, means "true religion" as in the teaching of the beloved Apostle James who said "
1:26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.27 This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

To love as God loves we must repent of what brother Nicholas calls religion (and rightfully so I may add) and turn to God asking for His loving grace to us that we may demonstrate true religion

Strong's definition for our English word "religion" in Strongs :

2356 qrhskei,a threskeia {thrace-ki'-ah} • from a derivative of 2357; TDNT - 3:155,337; n f • AV - religion 3, worshipping 1; 4 • 1) religious worship 1a) esp. external, that which consists of ceremonies 1a1) religious discipline, religion

Jesus said we must worship God in sprit and truth. I'd say that this was t brother Finney's goal. I'd agree that we "don't need any stinking revivals' if we are speaking of a revival of human , man centered religion . We don't need what the harlot church calls revival i.e, Toronto, Pensacola, etc.

Nicholas my brother said "That means that people everywhere in every religion need to forsake their empty religious works, idolatry, adultery, deceptions and every offensive precept and man-made doctrine and make a full and sincere surrender to Christ Jesus who is the only one qualified to save us. His example is the only thing we should be seeking and desiring for. All else is vanity, vanity, vanity." and " We need to cast them all aside and make a sincere and concerted effort to make a genuine return to God in all humility and repentant fervor."

what you are saying dear saint of the Lord , is revival. such as when in the hearing of the Law of the Lord King Josiah in II Kings 22...

Brother Nicholas , this is revival when , as it is today, there is a famine of the hearing of the word of God, and when then does hear the word of the Lord in its purest form, and repents and puts aways the idols in the land and as it woudl be today, the idols being "man" and "signs and wonders" just as much worshipped as the Molechs and Asherah and Baalim were by the nation of Israel. . In this story we see a priest, Hilkiah, discovering God's law , and then bringing to a king, Josiah, who repents himself, and then as he does so , so all follow , and this is revival, as the Lord brings it pass. Not some hideous caricature thereof as is commonly seen today.

I may have read Finney wrong but what He said there seemed to me to be something alot of folk who are adulterously pursuing a man centered 'seeker sensitve' or "signs and wonders' religion ought to heed. But your points are surely well taken and I honor you and thank you for your words.

Raymond, a small servant of the Great God

That's what I call a genuine revival...

To: Raymond Nicholson
Cc: Rita Williams
Subject: Now that's what I call a genuine revival...
Date: Apr 9, 2006 2:05 PM

Dear Brother Raymond,

Very well said beloved brother. That's what I would call a genuine revival. But you know dear brother, the strongholds of religion, as I and the Word, define it, are such that most will not tear down their idols and altars of false worship because they provide a degree of comfort for the "unlearned." Their response is so often, "What, come against the church - Never!" The peculiar thing about religion today is that it is viewed more as a "work" or ritual steeped in symbolism rather than a way of life. James pointed that out well in lines 26 and 27. In fact, in its proper context, James' exhortation absolutely refutes todays contemporary houses of religion showing them to be utterly worthless... and I might add, worthy of being torn down like as exibited in 2 Kings 22. In fact - that is the very first plea I make in Exhortation I of my published book, Apostasy Revealed. In order for that to happen on such a grande scale, it must first take place in an individuals own life so that he/she may witness Christ in flesh "proper."

After Christ died on the cross - wasn't the veil of the Temple torn and the Earth shaken? That's what we have to look forward to again but will men and women be able to do it of their own volition before the Angels of God wreak great destruction? If so, how many? Truth is I fear that very few will be able to offer their lives up as living and holy sacrifices unto God and surrender their will as I think they should allowing their souls to be saved to live with Christ eternally. Sad, isn't it?

Not many, He said, "but few."

Your faithful servant and brother in Christ,
Nicholas